Titanium Blunt Tip Knife Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent titanium (rust factor), blunt tip knife that would fit into a sheath and onto the harness of my rig. All the knives that I looked at either attach to a standard BC or has an option to attach to ones leg. Anyone know of a knife that fits my description that would come with a sheath to fit a harness webbing? It actually doesn't have to come with the sheath, but I would need to know that I can order one that actually fits the knife.

I saw the Halcyon knife on Fifth Dimension, Pacific Rim Aquatics. However, it is stainless steel. I guess I could go that route if all else fails. Just need to be diligent about cleaning and drying the knife.

Thanks.

I had a Wenoka Squeeze for a while. I liked the knife, but the sheath eventually let it go on a dive, so I lost it.

I decided to just go with a Betty Crocker special with a sheath made out of harness webbing that I bought from Tobin at Deep Sea Supply for about $18. I can't imagine that falling out and if I lose it I could care less. It also doubles well as a screw driver in a pinch. :wink:

Christian

DiegoDiver:
I'm looking for a decent titanium (rust factor), blunt tip knife that would fit into a sheath and onto the harness of my rig. All the knives that I looked at either attach to a standard BC or has an option to attach to ones leg. Anyone know of a knife that fits my description that would come with a sheath to fit a harness webbing? It actually doesn't have to come with the sheath, but I would need to know that I can order one that actually fits the knife.

I saw the Halcyon knife on Fifth Dimension, Pacific Rim Aquatics. However, it is stainless steel. I guess I could go that route if all else fails. Just need to be diligent about cleaning and drying the knife.

Thanks.

Stainless is all you need. I pull the knife on my open water rig out of the sheath to actually rinse it maybe once a year. No rust. If it did, throw away and buy another inexpensive replacement.

UK Ramora is now available in Ti , may or may not fit you sheath but the one it comes with fits webbing quite well.

Go buy a Wal*Mart $2 stainless steel special and break the tip off.

Go with what headhunter does. Its cheapest and easy. SS is pretty good.... have had mine for three yeras on my rig....... just now a tiny bit of rust on the blade. Why pay big $$ for a knife that is going to hurt when (when being the operative word) you loose it. For about $20 (give or take) you can have a good kife and its easily replaced. Save your cash for some other cool stuff.

Or better yet, put something even more useful there...a set of trauma/EMT shears. I guarantee they are better suited to the task of cutting you free of entanglements than any itty bitty knife. Snip Snip is a lot quicker than saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw. Plus, shears are much easier to hold with thick gloves on than a tiny little knife handle.

Soggy:
Or better yet, put something even more useful there...a set of trauma/EMT shears. I guarantee they are better suited to the task of cutting you free of entanglements than any itty bitty knife. Snip Snip is a lot quicker than saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw. Plus, shears are much easier to hold with thick gloves on than a tiny little knife handle.

If all you are cutting is string then an itty-bitty knife is more than adequate and there should be no need to saw-saw-saw. If it's rope then shears are good; a buddy of mine snips to his heart's content when we recover lobby traps. On the other hand, a reasonably sized knife is very easy to hold and use and does not require saw-saw-saw if you have good access to the rope.

Of primary concern, regardless of whether you carry a knife, shears or 'line cutter', is "will it cut?" rather than "will it rust?". A rust-free blade is useless if it will not take and hold a sharp cutting edge.

I coat my knife with oil after every dive to help prevent rust.

-V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom