Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a different tangent, one thing that has been bothering me is how did a private party like Jim Cameron (albeit a well connected one), learn about the SOSUS report of the implosion within a few hours of the accident? I suspect that report would have been classified at the time and I wouldn't imagine Cameron would have a security clearance (I could be wrong).

Sounds like it might have been another case of people in the intelligence community sharing intel to impress their pals. (Hoping to keep this apolitical).

Lots of listening devices. Not all are USN or classified. Easy enough for him to receive info.

I love how far off topic this thread is .. Anyway the USA put men on the moon several times & we saved Europe from speaking German.
No. We (French) saved the Americans from speaking proper English.

Too bad others bought into his BS as well - though some should have know better. I feel bad for the 19 year old who was, apparently, terrified of the trip and only did it for his dad… sad.

There is tons of this...

If all these same people where on a helicopter or plane that crashed, it would be a blip in the news and everyone would kinda shrug there shoulders to some extent...

Everyone that got in that sub did it of their own freewill.

I personally don't know if I would have turned it down, as I said previously the carbon fiber hull assembly scared me even before I knew it crushed.

Alot of the other stuff I kinda like,
the launch system is quite neat, especially for rough seas.
The of the shelf parts argument is mostly a bunch of nonsense.

It's the non of the shelf proprietary hull that failed.
Rule #1 in sub building.
Make sure the hull is strong enough...

I am no expert but I would have like to see a center bulkhead in the middle, and the end caps fit inside and outside of the carbon fiber end,

On a different tangent, one thing that has been bothering me is how did a private party like Jim Cameron (albeit a well connected one), learn about the SOSUS report of the implosion within a few hours of the accident? I suspect that report would have been classified at the time and I wouldn't imagine Cameron would have a security clearance (I could be wrong).

Sounds like it might have been another case of someone in the intelligence community sharing intel to impress their pals. (Hoping to keep this apolitical).
Although I cannot speak to specifics, but when you say he is "well-connected," it is an understatement. He is a major figure in the deep submersible industry. He is not just a passenger, either.

Add some oxygen tanks and I am sure there was some kinda fuel.
You will have a diesel engine..

Not to be gross or in sensitive,
But would there be anything left of the passengers to find?
Absolutely no! After the compressiong peak, a big explosion followed, smashing everything in a tiny silt... Or ash, more properly...

Although I cannot speak to specifics, but when you say he is "well-connected," it is an understatement. He is a major figure in the deep submersible industry. He is not just a passenger, either.
Regardless of how respected and qualified he certainly is, that does not grant him access to classified intel without clearance. But if there are unclassified sources, that provides a plausible explanation.

Absolutely no! After the compressiong peak, a big explosion followed, smashing everything in a tiny silt... Or ash, more properly...
So you are saying there was actual fire? Or just heat, ?

So definitely implosion then a explosion ?

That should be easy to hear underwater.

Back
Top Bottom