Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, if you think about it, "oxygen" was the proper term this time. There was going to be "air" (gas) in the vessel, but that "air" was not going to have enough oxygen in it to support life as the scrubber system or supply of breathable gas was not going to sustain their needs.....

You are assuming they had any money to begin with. There was a reason they didn't invest in a properly rated viewing port and were using logitec game controllers. They were doing it on the ultra cheap. If nothing bad happened they would probably be upto their eyes in debt anyway.
Oceangate was largely funded by Stockton Rush's trust fund. Most likely he transferred funds on an as needed basis. There is a Dutch saying "you can't pluck a naked chicken." I'm pretty sure this is the end of Oceangate.

Robert Ballard worked for the the CIA or a similar agency.
Nope. He worked for Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution at the time, as did I.
His search for the Titanic was actually a cover story for looking for something else
It was a cover story for looking for two US submarines that were lost. He found them. It is not a secret any more. See The Hunt for the Titanic Was Actually a Hunt for Lost U.S. Nuclear Submarines
As I heard it, the Navy was actually kind of pissed when he actually found the Titanic. They would have preferred a nice quiet failure.
You might be wrong.
My guess is pretty much every modern navy in the Atlantic heard the bang.
You might be wrong.

Stockton Rush probably made some mistakes. Lethal mistakes. He brought four people in death with him. He is not the first explorer and won’t be the last to push the envelope. Some have gotten away with it and are celebrated. Others died or caused death. The guy was flawed but he was an explorer, not a criminal.
Negligent homicide is a crime.

Negligent homicide is a crime.
Only if a jury or a judge decides so.

The $250,000 question is when will it be appropriate. @johndiver999

If you are ever in the position to ask this sort of question then the relevant answer is perhaps somewhere between "not yet" and "never".

A better question to ask is if there is ever really a time where being tasteless and insensitive is appropriate or paints one in a positive light.

-Z

How much more expensive would it have been to make the carbon fiber part out of titanium like the endcaps? Or weight becomes issue?
A sphere is the strongest..

The long cylindrical part is the weakest.

Carbon fiber is said to be 5 inches thick..... there seems to be no bulkhead in that sub,
so chances are that the middle of that tube is what buckled,

I am surprised that it gave them warning, If its true that they where emergency ascending...

I would hate to know what the titanium end caps are worth...
A tube 5inchs thick???? No idea

If you are ever in the position to ask this sort of question then the relevant answer is perhaps somewhere between "not yet" and "never".
What other things are off limits?
Can we not joke about covid?
A joke is going to make light of someone else’s misfortune, some find it funny others not so much.

A better question to ask is if there is ever really a time where being tasteless and insensitive is appropriate or paints one in a positive light.

-Z
Yes. There’s plenty of times to do it.
If you’re active in the recovery, no, but afterwards, if it helps settle your terrible thoughts/ feelings of what you’ve seen/ heard/ smelled/ done then by all means.

Back
Top Bottom