Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"What we know about the noises: Banging noises were identified by Canadian aircraft on Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Remotely operated vehicle (ROV) equipment was relocated to where the noises were detected, according to Capt. Jamie Frederick, the response coordinator for the First Coast Guard District. But searches in the area "yielded negative results," he said. Data from the plane that identified the noises was sent to the US Navy, but has so far been inconclusive," Frederick said, adding that the Coast Guard does not know what the sounds were."

As an engineer, I'm astonished that it doesn't seem to have been equipped with an independently-powered locator beacon, like an aircraft black box recorder would have. Those emit an ultrasonic 'ping' that operates for more than 30 days, and they are designed for depths of at least 20,000 feet.

All I can think it that it is too deep for such a 'pinger' to be effective because of the range to the surface and the difficulties of underwater acoustics.

Most of the pictures show the sub in a horizontal position with the occupants sitting next to each other. What would happen if the sub were on it's end vertically?

Seems like there are resources available for recovery/rescue, but there was no emergency plan in place to mobilize as quickly as is needed.

I guess it is a private venture and governments are not going to make commitments for theoretical scenarios that will most likely never occur?

Seems like there are resources available for recovery/rescue, but there was no emergency plan in place to mobilize as quickly as is needed.

I guess it is a private venture and governments are not going to make commitments for theoretical scenarios that will most likely never occur?
It would help if the CEO took safety seriously.

I posted some they were removed. I thought there were on topic. Maybe should have posted them in the meme thread instead lol
This isn’t the Pub.

Anyone cruising the internet can see your tasteless BS.

You’re lucky you didn’t get a thread ban, some have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom