Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is at least one computer in the pressure vessel in videos I saw. If I were designing it, I would have that computer be the one that the controller connects to, and then use a short range (both antennas right off the hull) for the communications to the computers outside the hull.

After the video with the ceo talking about there being a hydraulic pump inside that could be used to actuate the release of the ballasts, I am betting that there was nothing penetrating through the carbon fiber tube but there was ports through the titanium endcaps. He shows where electronic boxes were filled with oil on the outside.

Surprises me there wasn’t better coms or navigation though.

I wish we could see the whole system diagram of all the tech stuff on board. Maybe if it goes to court? The more I found in videos the more it seemed like they did engineer for some failure modes.

The implosion
In case anybody missed the CG briefing -

At about 9 minutes of the briefing, the Admiral mentioned about sonobuoy would have detected the implosion, if it occurred after the sonobuoys were deployed. That implies the implosion happened before then, perhaps right after the 1 hour and 45 minutes of descent. My guess is Polar Prince or OceanGate crew did not use sonar to listen for any sound coming from Titan during its journey to the abyss?

The implosion

At about 9 minutes of the briefing, the Admiral mentioned about sonobuoy would have detected the implosion, if it occurred after the sonobuoys were deployed. That implies the implosion happened before then, perhaps right after the 1 hour and 45 minutes of descent. My guess is Polar Prince or OceanGate crew did not use sonar to listen for any sound coming from Titan during its journey to the abyss?
There are so many SOSUS buoys in that neighborhood, I'm sure someone heard something.

But they ain't talking.

That was an excellent interview!

Agreed. But, I'm not really sure what he's saying when he says that within the community, they understand that there was an emergency ascent going on. How would they know this? Just a supposition maybe?

There are so many SOSUS buoys in that neighborhood, I'm sure someone heard something.

But they ain't talking.
Perhaps one of SOSUS whistleblower would whisper to the Admiral? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom