Tired of Digging...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Alan, I managed to sneak off to Travis for one dive. It felt good to get in the water.

Willie

Sunday was a Blast and I need to say a big thanks to Alan and Frank.

There is something to be said about cruising along at 97 ft above the silt and just knowing that if you mess up it is going to be really, really… messy and dark.

I did spot a small fry (fish) at about 85ft- silver with yellow markings, about 3 inches long. He had this look like- what are you doing here?
Strange how the mud is warmer than the water, guess that tells you I had my hands in it.

It was a great dive- always fun to see the NDL working its way down and the CNS on the uptake. 32% nitrox worked out very nicely and the Scubapro D400 never ceases to amaze me.

The only down side to this site is the remote nature. I am rather spoiled of walking across the grass and walking down steps at Windy Point; here it was follow the trail, navigate the rocks, and careful on the rocky beach…. A tad on the wild side.

I was really impressed with Frank and his diving. Alan and I were in drysuits and had canister lights, with all this gear and hoses. Frank was diving a combination of wetsuits and seemed to have a lot easier of a time getting in and out of the water than the both of us. This is not criticizing Alan because he seemed a lot more comfortable in his drysuit than I did in mine.

I am seriously thinking about making my own 7mm (heavily modified) semi dry suit.
Take a hooded 7mm suit, add latex cuffs, and have 3mm neoprene socks sewn on.
Hummm, Andy’s custom wetsuits….

I had a great time- but I really need to do some gear changes for long term.
Diverite has the Nomad out, plus I am considering using their regulators.

Pictures to follow.
Andrew

It was a fun day....should have mentioned that earlier. Andrew sorry I had to bail-out on our first dive (you/Frank/me)...I was thinking as I worked my way back out of he water and up that mule trail...back to O/W 101 for me---lol....I have never missed calc. my weighting by so MUCH--HAHA! You guys told of a great dive though....I snuck back in and did get my first dive of the day as a short solo dip. Frank and I did a similar run on our second dip as you guys did on that first one---I think I saw the same fish! That muddy silty stuff is SO burnt orange in color...pufffff and your in a black out---thats the lure and drama of Murray for me. I enjoyed the day with you guys....but I am def. sold on the drysuit thing,,,,'but' a nice 7mil full with hood would be a great item for days with the weather/water conditions of yesterday....I am not sure I could sneak in the house another wetsuit--gee! :)

Crazyduck:
Sunday was a Blast ... Pictures to follow.
Andrew, thanks for the report. I look forward to the pictures. However, I am wondering what you manged to get pictures of based on the dive description. :)

Willie

Willie,
I just did digital pictures above the waterline.
I am far a man of talent like yourself :D

Eventually it would be good to get an Ikelite case and that would be something else to bring along. I already look like a walking Christmas tree and now add a clear case with an expensive digital camera.

I can just see it now- pointing an Ikelite housing and lighting up the little fish with my 10 watt HID- hold still little fishy. Yeah right... :rofl3: As he swims off laughing.

Willie, I had the perfect picture…
We were at 45ft looking up and our eyes had adjusted to the ambient light (just leaving the pitch black at 95 ft.) You could see the rocks and lay of the land up to the surface it was great.

Hope that you have been well Willie.
Regards, Andrew

Crazyduck:
I had the perfect picture…
We were at 45ft looking up and our eyes had adjusted to the ambient light (just leaving the pitch black at 95 ft.) You could see the rocks and lay of the land up to the surface it was great.
Now that is a good picture. Those pictures and the ones that Frank normally takes and describes are as good or better than the ones you can print.

I had my camera with me on the dive yesterday with Ian (quite entertaining for him I think). I was in the doubles and carried a stage for part of the dive. We practiced passing it twice. Ian's comment on the other thread about asking me to check my pressure was because he got a kick out of watching me unhook the back of the stage bottle and then have to hook it back and get the SPG.

I got the camera tangled in my other gear several times. I need to figure out a nice secure way to attach it out of the way. I sure dont want to give it up.

Willie

wet-willie:
Ian's comment on the other thread about asking me to check my pressure was because he got a kick out of watching me unhook the back of the stage bottle and then have to hook it back and get the SPG.

Willie

Willie... a tip........ try moving your SPG off your hip d-ring when carring a deco/stage bottle.....say to one of your should d-rings (that is if you have 2 on each shoulder??),,,,,,or---it is very confussing if the 'clips' on your bottle and SPG are the same kind/size....another method is to make sure your SPG 'clip' is a diff. size from your bottle.

Andrew.. if your interested in "making your own wetsuit" I have a book that shows you how :14:
Now get this it was printed back in the 50's ! It's too darned cool 'gotta show you sometime.
I had a great time yesterday. That strange mystical force that takes control of my compass was at work yesteday once again. I told ya'll it was goung to happen just so and thats just what it did. Funny.. Andrew is hovering above me shining his light straight down at my compass. all the while we swerlin' in the mud at 97 feet in the dark. I think I screwed down deeper//// at least another 4 feet before I figured out which way South 180* was :rofl3: It's so darn black and muddy down there that in order to read your compass you have to hold your light right on it. Yes the magnetism of the light screws up the compass but thats just how it is.

I don't think the lake wants us to leave . Compasses work great until we want to turn around.. The Lake Murray Triangle :wink:

I have to tell on myself. Yesterday I did something I have never never never done before..
I lost a watch ( dive computer ~ Aeris Atmos2 My name is on the back )

All my life long I've never lost a watch. Not one of mine and certainly not a customers thats for sure. :shakehead
I felt like I just shot my dog :(

Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be where I think it is out there.

C'mon guys! Fess up! I did a little sleuthing and found that the vis was not as bad as you all make it out to be up there. Nor is it as cold. These photos are by a friend of mine that just happened to be diving nearby on the day in question.

Nurse-Shark.jpg
This mud cat seems to be pretty visible. And it's not THAT dark.

Turtle30.jpg
Same for this snapping turtle.

Craig.jpg
And the vis here is nothing to sneeze at. Doesn't look that cold either.

All I'm saying is to come clean. We know you're exaggerating when you say that "visibility is overrated". Frank, you need to change your signature to "Visibility is everything". And Alan and Andrew, ya gotta wonder about a guy that is tunnelling under most of northeast Texas.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom