Tire Inner Tube for a BC bladder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting thread. It is easily workable. After all, a BP/W is just an inner tube in a bag. Some have mentioned the wrinkled shape of a deflated tube, but that would not be a problem if encased in a sewn oval. The oval would also prevent overinflation by restricting expansion of the bladder. If I had an old BC, I would cut out the overpressure valve and glue it into the tube, and the same with the power inflator connection. Then sew an oval bag with appropriate hole for the fittings, then fit the oval on one of the plastic tank holders, fit the power inflator, and voila, a BC/W.

Would I dive it? Heck yeh! A BC is definately not life support equipment unless you or are lost at sea. Next time I'm at the dive shop I'll ask them if they have an old BC they will give me, but that is probably not too likely here in the developing world. back in the US it ought to be pretty simple to pick up something though. Cheers, Tim

Justin699,

Inner tube DIR... more like DIW (do it wrong)!

God that's just mean LOL!!!

If the other feller has consitpation he may never get it out LOL!

If he has loose bowels he might *@it himself empty and break the bowl LOL!!!!!

Btw, the other good thing about the inner tube idea is that if you overinflate you'll won't miss knowing about it cus you'll look like a hot air balloon!

meisburger, I understand your gungho and go for it attitude but please don't try this out... I really don't want to be responsible for any injury you may subject youself to for this. I much rather get as many pp interested in a inner bladder and get it factory made.

Love this thread!

SangP

SangP:
Justin699,

Inner tube DIR... more like DIW (do it wrong)!

God that's just mean LOL!!!

If the other feller has consitpation he may never get it out LOL!

If he has loose bowels he might *@it himself empty and break the bowl LOL!!!!!

Btw, the other good thing about the inner tube idea is that if you overinflate you'll won't miss knowing about it cus you'll look like a hot air balloon!

meisburger, I understand your gungho and go for it attitude but please don't try this out... I really don't want to be responsible for any injury you may subject youself to for this. I much rather get as many pp interested in a inner bladder and get it factory made.

Love this thread!

SangP
Why would you be responsible for anyones injury?

I wouldn't use a tire bladder because of the shape and valve. Cut your own shape, install your own valvles and bond the two halves together. Bond a thin layer of fabric over the top first to increase puncture resistance and limit failure to a small area. You can do net searches of homebuilt aircraft and fuel cells (or bladders) for construction methods and ideas. If you go looking for ideas, make sure it is a bladder and not a "wet" wing. They will also choose some materials based on the fuel resistivity, which you do not have to concern yourself with.

Your biggest safety concern is failure mode. You don't want a catostophic failure that causes injury or loss of stability.

Hi ScubaToneDog,

Maybe I should have rephased that to "I don't want to feel responsible".

Anyway, I think if you use a inner tube as a bc you have the added advantage of doing cartwheels easier in the water LOL!

If and when I ever decide to test out this idea I'll definately have a secondary buoyance device like a lift bag of at least 40 lbs capacity!

Cheers,

SangP

Don't worry so much! If your BC fails you will lose only whatever bouyancy it provided to make you neutral. At the beginning of a dive that might be a total of four kilos. At the end of a dive my BC is normally empty. You could easily swim to the surface when four kilos negative. If you found that difficult, you could drop weights until you were neutral. No worries mate! You can simulate the occurance of catostrophic BC failure by dumping all the air from it while sitting on the bottom of a pool, then trying to swim to the surface.

I think you are on to something, and don't see why people should not give this a try. Lot easier than making a mask (my next project).

Cheers, Tim

SangP...Ah...ok...I was trying to figure out why you said that...I would make sure I had at least 2 buddies with me...To watch the behavior of it and one to bail me out if need be....

Hey Tim, the mask project sounds cool. What kind of design you doing? Ive looked everywhere to find plans or designs for making an original Teak mask with no luck.

Hey Tim, the mask project sounds cool. What kind of design you doing? Ive looked everywhere to find plans or designs for making an original Teak mask with no luck.[/QUOTE]

I want to make a silicone mask skirt fitted to a model of my head. I figure that would give me the best fit, the lowest volume possible, and widest visibility. My kids and I have been making other things using silicone molds we made with 100% silicone caulk, and it seems to me I could use the same technique to make the mask, if I can come up with a workable mold.

I've never heard of anyone making a teak mask, but here in Indonesia kids carve wooden goggles and fit them with bits of glass.

Spear fishermen used to make them so they could dive deeper. The Teak goggles would end up sucking into their eyes from the pressure. They used rubber purfume bulbs on the goggles to equal out the pressure, but a mask worked much better at equalizing with fewer failures. Ive seen pictures of the masks but no close ups for detail. They look simple enough, but I would love to make a fully authentic operational one....you know....for those really deep dives....JUST KIDDING!...more for the hanging on the wall.

We are so off topic here....sorry everybody...bock to the topic at hand....innertube BC's rock....woo-hoo!

Not too long ago, I saw instructions on how to make a DIY mask from... an innertube.

Basicly, you find a round or oval piece of glass/plexiglass that's about the same circumference as the tube, and get a hose clamp that fits around it. Then you take a tube, cut out the section shown in red here:
http://home.comcast.net/~msilvia7/diymask.gif
and clamp the glass in the open part.. you know. Put it on using the other part for a built-in strap, and you're ready to go. I guess you're supposed to be able to pinch your nose through the rubber, but I'll be the first to admit I haven't tried it.

Back
Top Bottom