TIPS--showing our appreciation by way of money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decimal86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
folks

how much do you tip?

do you give all of it into the "tip box"? or specifically to the DM and his boat crew?

do you give the same amount everywhere you go? thks

Cultures vary - compare and contrast:

• Last year I was diving in St Thomas and at the end of the dive the DM tells the boat: "Although it is not mandatory, we normally expect people to tip around 15% as a guide". So I tipped about US$20 for one day's diving. Tip was accepted without comment.
  • This year I was diving in Philippines. Did about three days diving. Nobody said anything about tipping, but I felt I wanted to, although I wasn't quite sure how much to tip. I gave about the equivalent of US$16 in Pesos to my guide. He was so ecstatic I thought the guy was going to offer to bear my children... guess I overdid it.

I usually tip the person who has been taking care of me personally, and any other staff who I think went out of their way. Only exception is for liveaboards where for practical reasons it is just easy to ask them to tag 10% (or whatever) onto the bill.

Before putting your tip into the box, please ask if all the staffs would have a share in it.
Sometimes, the dm only works as free lance, probably same apply to the boatman.

The ugly word was never mentioned in all my diving experiences in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand. Definitely a culture thing.
Being courteous and friendly are far more important to the local. They all love to see a happy face.

folks
how much do you tip?
do you give all of it into the "tip box"? or specifically to the DM and his boat crew?
do you give the same amount everywhere you go? thks

Since you posted this in the Indonesian forum, are you asking how much one would tip in Indonesia?

If the service is good, I would always suggest tipping dive crews. The captains I've worked with in Malaysia and Indo are normally making between 3 dollars and 25 dollars a day. They are helping to keep you safe, carrying tanks, making sure you arrive on time and get back in time, and they are making less than we normally spend on a couple of beers after a day of diving.

As for instructors and DM's, (I am a bit biased as I am one) I always find it strange that the number of tips, and the amount is normally less than you would give to the guy who brings the beer from the bar to your table. And they are keeping you safe and showing you a good time. It certainly is a personal choice, but I know from personal experience that the dive crew in many places goes out of their way to show americans a good time and are sure to take good care of them, (as americans normally tip), than they will for spaniards, italians, and other europeans.

just my two cents.

Cultures vary - compare and contrast:

• Last year I was diving in St Thomas and at the end of the dive the DM tells the boat: "Although it is not mandatory, we normally expect people to tip around 15% as a guide". So I tipped about US$20 for one day's diving. Tip was accepted without comment.

I don't know who you dove with, but that seems like a rude approach. The dive operation I go out with gives me local rates, so I am generous with a tip. This crew is outstanding and they set up your gear and switch it over for the next dive. At the end of the dive, they tell about the discovery dive and night dive they offer, the rinse tank for your gear and so forth. Then they say that they have a gratuity container and if you would like to leave a gratuity it is greatly appreciated.

It is customary to give between 12--20% of the cost of the dive. Of course, I have seen bozo divers who gave a $10 tip for both of them for a two-tank dive and some who don't tip at all.

Since you posted this in the Indonesian forum, are you asking how much one would tip in Indonesia?

well yes and no, as someone pointed out, it could be a culture thing. one amount could be sufficient in one country yet miniscule in another. and for services rendered exclusively ie photographer's guide? maybe more so...

Perhaps a post in the General Asia section.

you mean general general section? not only asia?

what if the cost of the dive was US$4,340/- ??? do you guys/gals actually tip US$434/- ? really ?? i know waiters and waitresses in the US are expecting that amount off the bill for the table they serve (somebody told me that they are actually taxed that amount?) but at a dive center?

would 10-12% be a bit overly generous for all cultures and services?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom