TIPS--showing our appreciation by way of money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am never happy on service charges at restaurant. Set the table, take the order and bring the food to the table is part of the job description for waiter/waitress. Why should I pay extra for that? If the basic salary is not enough then they should ask the boss for a raise. Why should the customers bear the responsibility? Some restaurants even have table charges!!!!!!!! And I do know some restaurant owners pocket those sevice charges themselves. Anyway...

Tips is a sign of appreciation NOT obligation.

what if the cost of the dive was US$4,340/- ??? do you guys/gals actually tip US$434/- ? really ?? i know waiters and waitresses in the US are expecting that amount off the bill for the table they serve (somebody told me that they are actually taxed that amount?) but at a dive center?

would 10-12% be a bit overly generous for all cultures and services?

If you paid that much "for a dive" I would say you were on a very high end all inclusive type deal and that would be the cost for the week. 10% of that type of charge would be divided between several people I am sure.

Why would the culture matter if it is within your means to tip 10%? The example you gave is obviously meant to be high to prove a point, but say the dive cost you 40 bucks, why would it be right to take into consideration culture when it comes to showing your appreciation?

The culture thing with tipping is the other way around. Some cultures tip, some don't.

It evens out things in more "international" type destinations when you just tip like you would anywhere else if you come from a culture that tips.

I don't understand when people worry that they tipped too much when the recipient got excited over the amount given. They are grateful and a little bit goes a long way.

Let them have their good days to even out their not so good days.

If you paid that much "for a dive" I would say you were on a very high end all inclusive type deal and that would be the cost for the week. 10% of that type of charge would be divided between several people I am sure.

Why would the culture matter if it is within your means to tip 10%? The example you gave is obviously meant to be high to prove a point, but say the dive cost you 40 bucks, why would it be right to take into consideration culture when it comes to showing your appreciation?

The culture thing with tipping is the other way around. Some cultures tip, some don't.

It evens out things in more "international" type destinations when you just tip like you would anywhere else if you come from a culture that tips.

I don't understand when people worry that they tipped too much when the recipient got excited over the amount given. They are grateful and a little bit goes a long way.

Let them have their good days to even out their not so good days.

OUCH! you sound angry...

I am never happy on service charges at restaurant. Set the table, take the order and bring the food to the table is part of the job description for waiter/waitress. Why should I pay extra for that? If the basic salary is not enough then they should ask the boss for a raise. Why should the customers bear the responsibility? Some restaurants even have table charges!!!!!!!! And I do know some restaurant owners pocket those sevice charges themselves. Anyway...

Tips is a sign of appreciation NOT obligation.

i think in the US, in restaurants and transportation, you have no choice. but i am digressing, i am only enquiring about diving all over as somebody reminded me earlier.

OUCH! you sound angry...

Haha...no, not angry. Just a bit of a soapbox rant.

You find that from time to time on here.

I have spent a long time either working for, with, or employing people from lots of different cultures. 10% is 10% wherever you are.

The price should be reflected in the culture maybe, not the percentage of gratuity if you feel the urge to show your gratitude with money.

It's a long standing post from which I wanted to keep off, though I can't resist forwarding you to a nice and thick sunday reading, here you go (275 posts long) : Tipping is in the culture - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

There are probably more accurate reflexions in this long thread than the few shortcuts I have read above.
And for heaven's sake the difference between divers is not that some tip and some don't, it might be more something like a part consider the "all world should do as they do home" and others prefer "to do in Rome as romans do".

Haha...no, not angry. Just a bit of a soapbox rant.

You find that from time to time on here.

I have spent a long time either working for, with, or employing people from lots of different cultures. 10% is 10% wherever you are.

The price should be reflected in the culture maybe, not the percentage of gratuity if you feel the urge to show your gratitude with money.

thks bro' appreciate yr help. my motto is to leave happy trails, so learning helps. cheers

It's a long standing post from which I wanted to keep off, though I can't resist forwarding you to a nice and thick sunday reading, here you go (275 posts long) : Tipping is in the culture - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

There are probably more accurate reflexions in this long thread than the few shortcuts I have read above.
And for heaven's sake the difference between divers is not that some tip and some don't, it might be more something like a part consider the "all world should do as they do home" and others prefer "to do in Rome as romans do".

this certainly helps. thks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom