Tips on diving in doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doof

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs more here or in the Basic Scuba section, but since this is all a precursor to learning deco procedures, I think it fits here...

I just got back from my first dive in a set of doubles. I have a set of lp 95s.

First things first... I really wish I had gone with a set of 104s. Everything I've heard about 95s being top heavy is true. Add that to the fact that my harness felt quite a bit too loose, especially around the waist, and it was just a dive from hell.

So are there any pointers on making this transition a little easier? My main plan right now is to make some harness adjustments and then just dive, dive, dive these things until they get to be second nature. Anything else that might help?

Don't pick up your doubles by the isolator (or the middle of your manifold) and make sure that you can shut down/open both valves and your isolator while diving.

I don't have a whole lot of experience m'self but..

Keep your harness tight and properly fitted or the tanks slide around.
Swim slower than normal, you have more drag.
Remember your crotch strap!
Don't be afraid to ask for help from your buddy when standing and moving....
Make sure that you can reach your valves!

Practise, Practise, Practise...

Doof,
I remember that dive- feels like you're starting all over again. You have the right plan. The only suggestion I may make is that 95's are a short tank. I'm 6'2" and 95's are more awkard for me to trim than my 108's. I don't know your height. but it may be applicable. FWIW.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Doof once bubbled...
I really wish I had gone with a set of 104s. Everything I've heard about 95s being top heavy is true.
The extra length of the 104s is nice for taller folk... but you can trim out with the 95s too.

Arch your back to keep from toppling over onto your head.

You could also compensate by adding a half V- weight to the lower bolt.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The extra length of the 104s is nice for taller folk... but you can trim out with the 95s too.

Arch your back to keep from toppling over onto your head.

You could also compensate by adding a half V- weight to the lower bolt.

You could also try stuffing a soft weight in between the tanks and the wing, just above the lower bolt.

A two lb fits easily. A four lb is about the most you can use in this manner.

first thing that comes to mind is to make sure that the bands are as high as possible on the tanks. there is top of the tanks, and there is top of the tanks. even a slight difference can affect your trim.

arch your back. you can also change the position of your feet to try to balance out.

I'm a tad under 6' tall, so the 104's would probably work well for me. I've got a friend that offered to trade his 104's for my 95's. Mine are brand new, his are about 2 years old. I think I may take him up on the offer, even knowing they'll need a hydro sooner than the ones I have now. It'll just be nice to have the trim a little better, and that extra gas. I'll do another dive with the 95's and try to trim them out a little bit using some of the advice given in here.

I definitely need to tighten that waist strap. I think the shoulder straps are tight enough as they are. I may tighten the crotch strap some, as well.

I think another thing that kind of got me was the inflator hose on that Halcyon 55# wing seems to be really really short, unless I've got the BP set too low. I didn't really think I did, as the bands are at the very top of the tank where they start to curve, and I can still reach all 3 valves just fine. It's actually easier to reach those three valves than it ever was on a single tank, due to the difference in position.

But anyway... I had a hard time finding the inflator hose at times, and with the larger wing, it seems to be more crucial that adjustments be made sooner. My bouancy was totally shot because of it. And the rear dump valve took some getting used to... it's harder to locate than it was on the single tank wing.

But other than that... I seemed to be able to reach my safety reel just fine, and operate my canister and backup lights. But that's all harness related, so their locations don't change at all.

Thanks for all the advice. And keep it coming if there's anything else I should know. :)

You shouldn't have trouble finding it at all... it is supposed to be under a bungee loop at the left shoulder d-ring... and make sure the lp inflator hose is snap on over the top of the bungee.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom