Tips on Buying Myself a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmlewis21

New
Reaction score
I am looking to eventually buy a wetsuit. However when I look at size guides none of the sizes really seem suitable. The thing is I am about 6ft 2" and have a chest size 33". Do you think I would need a custom made wetsuit instead.

probably...

but you might want to go to a dive shop and try a few of them on, see how they
feel

you want it snug, but not too tight

I buy almost everything online, except wetsuits I prefer to get from a dive shop so I can try on a few, or if I rented one that fit really well, then I'd make a note of the brand, size and model for ordering it later if I think it's that good (that's what I did with my first 3mm).

cmlewis21:
I am looking to eventually buy a wetsuit. However when I look at size guides none of the sizes really seem suitable. The thing is I am about 6ft 2" and have a chest size 33". Do you think I would need a custom made wetsuit instead.

Ftr is everything, buy it locally unless you are feeling lucky and want to play wetsuit roulette.

Consider finding a BARE dealer. They have a huge selection of sizes and I am partial to their suits. http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/dive.asp

It needs to fit you like a glove with just a hint of compression.
It must not restrict you when you inhale or assist when you exhale.
You must have full range of motion, hands on oposite shoulders, arms straight up, deep knee bends, hands on toes, was well as without the suit!

If you don't find it off the rack then a custom suit for a small upcharge is the way to go. What sort of water temperatures are you gearing up for?

pete

Im 6'3 and i wear a suit that is supposed to fit a 5'10 person. It's a body glove suit, and it really fits well, i can move basically like im wearing nothing at all and I move alot under and above water with it because im a hull cleaner. So just go and try the suits on and im sure you'll find one that fits like a glove.

Evil :bgmad:

The first thing to do is to try on as many different brands as possible. I called and visited at least 4 different dive shops, each of which carried a different brand as its main stock. I probably tried on around a dozen suits of varying makes, designs and sizes. They are all different cuts. Some had longer arms or legs, some had broader shoulders, etc etc.

One thing though, is that especially if you're trying on 5-7mm suits, take your time. You work up a sweat pretty quick donning and doffing neoprene. You don't want to try on more than about three wetsuits in one sitting. (standing?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom