Tips for the Big Island in November, thanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for the great info!
Seems that the only missing link is where to stay. Seems that all the nice hotels/resorts are far from kailua/kona. I've gone through all 21 hotels listed on tripadvisor for kailua/kona and nothing sounds like a sure winner. I don't need mega luxury; i will be going alone an don't plan on spending much time in my room. But the time i will be in the hotel i want to be able to get some good rest for the next day. Almost all establishments reviewed have issues with noise, cleanliness, air conditioning, or bugs. Don't need a kitchen, won't use it. And will have a car so will be able to drive into town for meals. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Some names that have popped up are: Castle Kona Reef, Outrigger Keauhou, Sheraton Keauhou.

Every two or three years I go to Kona. I like Jack's advanced two-tank dive; I think it's every Thursday. My wife prefers snorkeling with the Mantas off the Sheraton. Can't remember the operator of the catamaran. They also do a great all-day snorkel on the cat. Also like the dive shop there. I'll be there again the third week of November.

I stayed at Outrigger Keauhou, and was very happy with it,right on the beach cool place, Bottom Time Hawaii's shop was right below my room, they took very good care of me, I also dove w/ Big Island Divers and was very happy with them as well. Manta dive is a must, hit Two Step/ Place of Refuge as well.

Weather that time of year is ideal. From Kailua south is usually mild, even cool at times, esp from Kealekekua on south. In 8 or so trips in early Dec, I've encountered bad weather only once - last year's 50 year storm that silted the ocean for several days - and regularly good seas. North of the airport is windy, or else windy. Also far from almost everything, and expensive. I hear good things about Jack's but have always rented with Big Island Divers because their gear rental prices were better. I dive a lot when there and the very different tank policies made a difference, don't recall for sure about the other gear I take all my own now. I've only done Manta dives with BID, and liked their operation. Staff and owner Norm are nice folks and helpful. Condos, even on the coast where you can shore dive in front, can be had for ~$110 or less per night. Traffic along the highway above Kailua, in either direction, can be heavy around commute hours but is easy to time.

OK, now I want to go.

Back
Top Bottom