Tips for Keeping Cravings and Bad Habits @ Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it doesn't work for me because my great grandmother was vietnamese and she probably eat snake and other exotic things that probably make people run out the door. :D

Interesting thread

As for the sweets, you have to go cold turkey! Just stop. Don't even eat stuff that is sugar-free. Do this for a month. You will break your addiction. The only way to accomplish it is to make a commitment to yourself and keep it.

As for fast food, find healthy alternatives and eat them for a month. As Catherine said, keep almonds and walnuts on hand if you like them. After a month, fast food won't sound so great. Your taste buds change.

By the way, I'm speaking from experience. Anyway, whatever you choose to replace sweets and fast food, make sure you like the flavor or you will feel deprived. If you feel deprived, you will torpedo your efforts.

Cold turkey on the sweets is really a no go for me. However, I have really cut them out and have found that it is okay, although I am eating more. I just got finished turning down a really nice looking piece of lemon tart that a colleague brought in for me. I had to say no about 3 different times. Made me feel really good to be in control of the situation. :)

Another mind game I play with myself when I can't bear "no", is to say "okay, if I do X and then still want it, I can have it" By postponing it, I almost always can resist.

I do this with purchases too....I will tell myself "if it haunts me overnight, for a week, etc"

Your taste for sugar will change, like Becky says, once you cut it out, like a drug.

sarita75:
Cold turkey on the sweets is really a no go for me. However, I have really cut them out and have found that it is okay, although I am eating more. I just got finished turning down a really nice looking piece of lemon tart that a colleague brought in for me. I had to say no about 3 different times. Made me feel really good to be in control of the situation. :)

Have you tried substituting sweet fruits? I've taken to having an orange when the craving hits, and for me, it works.

My bigger problem is with salty snacks... those I pretty much just had to give up, as once I got started - well as they say - I'll bet you can't eat just one. :)

You're spot on about "control" though - it is very empowering to NOT give in. I also have success with Catherine's method of deferring - almost never give in once my self-imposed deadline has passed... sort of "oh well, if you can make it this long, I suppose you'll live."

kari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom