Tips for getting a in focus shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one mentioned the mist important tip! Practice with your camera on dry land. Dont try it underwater until you can get sharp images of flowers, your dog, etc.

along those lines-----If you have a topside camera going into an UW housing, make sure you can change ALL settings on the camera while IN the housing on land before you take it UW----Do it topside until you can do it (almost) blindfold----ie 'in the heat of battle(UW)', you (almost)want to be able to change your settings without having to look @ the housing & camera.....BIG HELP, IMO......

The most common cause of blur in point and shoot cameras is Motion Blur! Your moving and the subject is moving and shutter speed is too slow! Try to steady your shot or use a Reed's Rod as a mono pod if possible! On land the best pictures in wild life and scape shoots are done with a tripod! I see most people doing drive or Dive by photography underwater!

The most common cause of blur in point and shoot cameras is Motion Blur! Your moving and the subject is moving and shutter speed is too slow! Try to steady your shot or use a Reed's Rod as a mono pod if possible! On land the best pictures in wild life and scape shoots are done with a tripod! I see most people doing drive or Dive by photography underwater!

To me, that's THE most important part of getting a good shot---be AS STILL as possible when pulling the trigger, just like shooting a gun--you not gunna like the results of movement....that's what I hate about CZM, & I'm leaving for there tomorrow nite, #%&* current, lol....

It can be a challenge for sure! I have gone by the subject and faced the current in order not to whiz by it from the side! I try to match speed, use a faster shutter, and stop kicking for the second before I pull the trigger! Have a great trip, still beats the best day at work!

Practice on land in all kinds of light conditions and try all kinds of camera settings. Saves learning time.

As a last resort, read manual.

If you are using a DSLR and you are going to use a small number f stop to allow you to have a fast shutter speed and a correct exposure, you should use centre metering, if you use evaluative metering with a shallow depth of field, you could well focus on something that isn't your intended subject, also if you are using a strobe, it is likely to blast for the nearest object in your photo unless you press the * button when you compose your shot, this too could lead to incorrect exposure on the area you want to focus on. Always shoot in RAW if you have the capability, programmes such as Photoshop and the software that comes with your camera will allow you to adjust exposure and white balance when you edit your shots, it's nearly impossible to do this effectively with jpegs.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom