Tips for getting a in focus shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't know what an f-stop is that's fine, you are new to photography. Get a book, take a course, google and Wiki away until you have the basics. Then get about a hundred dives under your belt until your buoyancy control is effortless, and about 10,000 pictures above water until you have a gut feel for exposure, depth of field, etc. Then you are ready to start thinking about underwater photography. I'll get you started:

Aperture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you use one of those cameras that does everything for you, you will never learn how to use a camera that gives you the artistic freedom to create.

When you say you try to close in on a subject are you zooming in or moving in? I don't recommend using the cameras zoom you should have your zoom as wide as possible and move in close to the subject if you can without scaring it away of course.

An F stop is the size of the iris opening. the larger the number (f16) the smaller the opening and the less light allowed into the camera. This results in a larger depth of field (how much of the picture is in focus) than say a larger opening like f5.

check your manual for the focusing & auto focus. i made an asumption as to what the camera was focusing on the first time i took my new camera out & most of my shots had the background in focus & the subject blurry.

i checked the manual & corrected that fault.

also try

The underwater photographer: digital ... - Google Books

this book, the underwater Photographer by Martin Edge, he takes it from the basics.

The underwater photographer: digital ... - Google Books[/url]

this book, the underwater Photographer by Martin Edge, he takes it from the basics.

Make sure that you get his THIRD edition. It was recently revised to include a lot of info on digital.

This is an excellent book for beginners and advanced photogs alike.

wow just had to see these are amazing tips! can't wait to try them out )

Try this:

If you can set the shutter speed for 1/125 or 1/90 you'll freeze the action. Adjust your aperture as needed for using this shutter speed.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the mist important tip! Practice with your camera on dry land. Dont try it underwater until you can get sharp images of flowers, your dog, etc.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the most important tip! Practice with your camera on dry land. Dont try it underwater until you can get sharp images of flowers, your dog, etc.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the most important tip! Practice with your camera on dry land. Dont try it underwater until you can get sharp images of flowers, your dog, etc.
Somebody did:

Then get about...10,000 pictures above water until you have a gut feel for exposure, depth of field, etc. Then you are ready to start thinking about underwater photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom