Tips for first time diver, trouble equalizing ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that helped my wife was to take it slowly. Only go down a foot or two and then equalize. Just go very slow and it should become easier over time. My wife used to take several minutes to go down to 30 feet and now only takes about a minute.

I have trouble equalizing too and stupidly continued a dive even with ear pain...my limit is around 30ft with hubby. My ears hurt for days and I went to Urgent Care and was told I had barotrauma and bleeding eardrums. It took WEEKS to clear up, it was horrible. Now I go down a foot at a time and stay still until I equalize. It may take 15 minutes to get down to 30 feet but that's what works for me...clear...clear...clear. : ) Let us know how you are doing !

I would say she maybe waiting to late to start equalizing. I is normally a good practice for to do it before I even enter the water and do it before you need to as you descend. She will probably find once she does it some it is almost like you body gets use to it.

I have always had trouble equalizing since I was a child. Before I learned work arounds plane rides were painful, and I flew a lot....... so what works for me....

Wake up- equalize
Shower-equalize
Get dressed- equalize
Load car- equalize
Every few minutes driving- equalize
Same as last for the boat ride.

Very key once in water right before descent- equalize

Might sound extreme but it works for me.

I have always had trouble equalizing since I was a child. Before I learned work arounds plane rides were painful, and I flew a lot....... so what works for me....

Wake up- equalize
Shower-equalize
Get dressed- equalize
Load car- equalize
Every few minutes driving- equalize
Same as last for the boat ride.

Very key once in water right before descent- equalize

Might sound extreme but it works for me.
Another key to doing this is don't equalize hard just nice and easy!

In the past I had severe problems equaling my sinuses along with frequent sinus infections. Went four months without taste or smell and missed a week of diving in the Caymans - then I found out I has nasal polyps. Had them removed in '87 and no problems since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom