Tips for clearing you ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-for the words of encouragement!

I never descend until I'm ready. I'd rather abort the dive then cause problems with my ears. Most of the time though, the only person rushing me...is me! I'm working on the problem. But I am an impatient gal! But still working on it.

My last dive vacation, a couple of the DMs got to know me pretty well and would hang out with me patiently while I descended. They put me so much at ease that during my last few descents, I astonished myself (and them!) by descending in 1 minute to 20 feet, what had previously taken be 10 minutes. :D

PNW??? :cold: Strikes terror in my heart! Only kidding.......well, okay not really. :cold: One day...one step at a time.

In answer to your exposure suit question, I've only been diving in 80+ degree water with a 3 mil so have never had a problem with cold.

Sandy

PS - For some reason, once I hit 35-40 feet, I'm golden. No more ear problems from that depth.

Originally posted by SunshineFish
In answer to your exposure suit question, I've only been diving in 80+ degree water with a 3 mil so have never had a problem with cold.

Sandy

PS - For some reason, once I hit 35-40 feet, I'm golden. No more ear problems from that depth.

Sandy,
I just assumed from your location (NYC) that you were a cold water diver.... unless there is something I missed here :D

The reason you do better after 35-40 feet could be because the inner ear has already gone through the largest adjustment in the first 33'... that and when you finally start to get into *diving mode* the anxiety level decreases....

A suggestion that has already been mention would probably really help you... gently pre-pressurize your ears with a valsalva before even starting down.... and frequently on the way down....

And Sandy... keep thinking happy thoughts :wink:

We say that the ear that won't clear is "geeked up" makes the students laugh, helps a little with relaxation! Especially since it's usually my ears that have "geeked up"! I have found that turning my head so the offending ear points to the sky while I valsalva makes the clearing go much better. Stretches the eustachian tube out a little I guess I really don't know. Of course it makes me look like I'm bouncing my head off of my shoulders when I do it quickly!
Ber :bunny:

Originally posted by Ber Rabbit
Of course it makes me look like I'm bouncing my head off of my shoulders when I do it quickly!
That reminds me a blonde joke that I always thought was funny.

I asked these same questions, and a good friend and Board Member (SubMariner) passed this along to me.

So I will share it with you.Here are SOME of the salient points directly from Dr. Kay's article in "The
Undersea Journal":

"A head down position during descent compromises a marginally patent
Eustachian tube and makes middle ear equalization more difficult. Therefore
students, divers with prior ear problems, timid divers and those who are not
sure if their middle ear will equalize should begin their decsent slowly in
a head-up position.

Vigorous (but not forceful) middle ear pressurization should begin on the
surface where there is no pressure on the eardrum. Therefore, slight
pre-pressurization of the middle ear, inflating the Eustachian tube prior to
descent, is desirable.

Simple Techniques: the simplest techniques are the yawn, swallow, jaw thrust
and head tilt....
Frenzel: closes off the vocal cords by pinching the nostrils and making a
"k" or "guh" sound to compress air in the back of the throat. This is [Dr.
Kay's] preferred pressurization maneuver because it can be done at any point
in the respiratory cycle...
Valsalva: with the nostrils pinched closed, pressure is increased in the
chest by blowing out the closed nostrils and keeping cheek muscles tight.
Caution is advised, as prolonged effort can cause venous engorgement of the
tissues around the Eustacian tubes...
Toynbee: this technique calls for pinching the nostrils shut while
swallowing, therefore pulling open the Eustachian tube. It is not
recommended for rapid descent because the Eustachian tubes are difficult to
reinflate after middle ear squeeze occurs.
Beance Tubair Voluntaire (BTV): difficult to teach and not easily mastered.
Muscles of the soft palate contract while upper throat muscles pull the
Eustachian tube open. People who spend hours in decompression have an
excellent opportunity to practice this technique as they undergo gradual and
predictable pressure changes.
Roydhouse: simliar to BTV except the soft balace muscles contract, raising &
tilting the uvula (the soft bulge hanging from the soft palate in the back
of the throat). Tensing the tonque muscles causes the crackling sensation in
the Eustadian tube; a jaw thrust often helps with this technique.
Edmonds: combines pressurization from either the Valsalva or Frenzel and a
jaw thrust or head tilt.
Lowry: combines pressurization with swallowing. Coordintion and practice is
required to pinch nostrils, build up pressure and swallow at the same time,
but the technique is every effective.
Twitch: using pressure from either the Valsalva or Frenzel, the head is
suddenly "twitched" sideways. Throat muscle tension increases the
effectiveness of this technique."

ID

Originally posted by SunshineFish

Uncle Pug,

My last few dives, I realized why it took me so long. I can't seem to clear my ears by the Valsava method. Only swallowing does the trick. But it's difficult for me to swallow underwater with the reg. And it's even more difficult when I feel rushed.

Sunshine

hi there
I have never had a problem clearing my ears, (almost never) on the contrary I do it very easy.
I just move my jaw forward and then I blow gentle without holding anything and my ears snap :wink:
try it,

personally i find the initial jumpoff from a boat or surface down to 40 meters one of the best parts of the dive :wink:

The fealing of falling and then when the bottom starts to fill upp the lightcirkle made by the light and the breaking of the fall down to being totally still :wink:
hope you get the ear clearing under control ;-)

Dont feel any preasure to let anyone push you further down than you are ready for

happy diving

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Sandy,
I just assumed from your location (NYC) that you were a cold water diver.... unless there is something I missed here :D
Uncle,

I live here in NY but have only dived in tropical waters. Would some day like to try cold water diving, but not anytime in the near future.

Thanks, Iguana. I never knew it had a name. I'm serious. In fact, I was never sure anybody else could do it, and I never knew how I did it. If some skeptic would question it I would invite them to place their ear close to mine and listen. They usually flinched a bit when they heard the "click".

Back
Top Bottom