Question Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still don't get it. Are you saying tipping is not a good incentive, or not a good way to show gratitude for good or excellent service?

I'm really not trying to be an a$$ here but I'm completely bewildered by all this to do over showing dive operators a little financial love.
You probably don't get it because I pretty much avoided addressing that part of the question, focusing instead on the US versus the rest of the world.

But to address it (sort of), I would say a tip is indeed a good way to show gratitude for good or excellent service. It's just that, under the US custom a tip has become something more than that. In most countries in which tipping is practiced, leaving a few coins on the table or giving someone a small token of your appreciation sends the message without being so in-your-face; it's seen as a token of gratitude, not a substitute for a chunk of the person's monetary compensation for their work.

You probably don't get it because I pretty much avoided addressing that part of the question, focusing instead on the US versus the rest of the world.

But to address it (sort of), I would say a tip is indeed a good way to show gratitude for good or excellent service. It's just that, under the US custom a tip has become something more than that. In most countries in which tipping is practiced, leaving a few coins on the table or giving someone a small token of your appreciation sends the message without being so in-your-face; it's seen as a token of gratitude, not a substitute for a chunk of the person's monetary compensation for their work.
And I do get that, as I do the the overall wage/tip & service quality relationship discussion and concerns. Thank you.

But I'll get off my soapbox with this: I still don't understand the negative attitudes about tipping dive crews. Whether its a substantial function of their total compensation or a sign of appreciation, tips, at the rates discussed, are negligible relative to the overall cost. This is more than a good pour at the bar. These folks provide support for a risky hobby and I think $10 or $20 a dive IS a relatively small token of appreciation.

I just realized that a bribe is just a tip before the service.

I just realized that a bribe is just a tip before the service.
And then there was my discovery in north Africa of "baksheesh," which, as best I understand it, refers to small amounts handed out to just about everyone in every circumstance, greasing the wheels and keeping everything running smoothly. It can be thought of as a bribe, but often it's not seen that way. It can be a tip when given after the service, but does that make such places a "tipping culture" like we think of in the US? No, it's a very different concept. What I have learned is that things work differently everywhere. Wherever you're going, do your research and don't just blindly do as you would at home. That's how tipping in Cozumel ended up looking like tipping in the US.

Do people tip for courses the same? Doing a few shore dives and boat dives as part of AOW. Do people tip in US dollars or pesos?

Do people tip for courses the same? Doing a few shore dives and boat dives as part of AOW. Do people tip in US dollars or pesos?
A person I know (me) did not tip for the AOW course I took (in Playa del Carmen) but did tip the instructor for each AOW dive the same as I would for any dive. Also tipped the guy who put my basket of gear away after diving and retrieved it the next day I dove.

People tip in both currencies - wouldn't worry to much about it - both spend!!

This is an neverending story. In Europe tipping is not normal. As soon as I pay more than 30-32 euro per dive (the price for a boat dive in France), I don't tip anymore.

I have tipped in restaurants in the usa. Also I do in Asia. But for diving not.
So it is an endless discussion where tipping here is notdone.

In Mexico we did a guided cenote dive because it was impossible to get in without and this cave was still on a list. We did not tip.

In Tulum in restaurants, local restaurants don't expect tips, if you give them, they sometimes refuse. In more American looking restaurants they are already more expensive and some are so brutal to put 15% tip on the bill already. Then we will never come there again. One restaurant followed us because we did not tip, but the price for tacos was already 3 times the price of a street restaurant. So if you stick to local restaurants or streetfood, you don't have any discussion, pay same as locals pay and the food is still perfect. And if they accept a tip then, they are really happy.

In Tulum in restaurants, local restaurants don't expect tips, if you give them, they sometimes refuse.
I don't have firsthand experience with those restaurants, but I find that rather hard to believe.

In Mexico we did a guided cenote dive because it was impossible to get in without and this cave was still on a list. We did not tip.

On the one hand, you can't get much more personal service than a cavern guide. On the other hand, cenote dives seem to be about 50% more than boat dives and without all the overhead of a boat. Entrance fees are low, maybe $10USD. Where's the money going?

I wish I knew more about how the cenote dive business works. I don't how much of that money is going to the guide. Hard to believe they are working for tips. Makes no sense to tip someone who is already well paid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom