Question Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bartenders provide what could be considered "counter service," and it's traditional (in the US) to tip them. And if you want them not to ignore you when you want another drink, you'd better tip them properly. So when coffee baristas started putting out the tip jar, maybe it wasn't quite as radical as it seemed at first? I find myself tipping baristas now. I tip at food trucks as well, even though the people behind the counter likely own the truck. Like a lot of people, I am ambivalent--no, make that completely confused--about tipping for counter service.

You pay out each drink you order? You don't run a tab? Seems every bartender will ask with the first drink if you want to keep a tab open so they have no idea what you will tip until you leave.

I'll jump back in with an observation. Two tank dive trip fairly typical pricing seems to be $125. At 20%, that's a $25 tip or $12.50/tank.

Not even Aldora, one of the highest priced ops on Cozumel, charges $125. I'd say $90 is about average and lots of decent ops around $80 with multi-trip packages.

I dove in Belize with Sea Sports Belize doing a 2 tank barrier reef dive from a cruise (not through the cruise) for $157.50 not including gear rental.

I dove in Cozumel with Paradise Dive doing a 2 tank dive on the Sam Francisco wall and the Paradise reef for $103.00 not including gear rental. Again on a cruise but not through a cruise.

This past weekend I dove with my local dive shop in Panama City Beach on the big blue dive boat. We did 2 inshore dives each 2 tank dives. Per their website that would have cost $125.00 per inshore trip. Good news, now I own my own gear. Running the math, my LDS isn't gouging me based on boats posted pricing, yeah, I am sure the LDS gets the trip cheaper but I didn't have to book it, swipe and splash...

So that's the extent of my boat dive pricing knowledge.

This is a Cozumel forum. What they charge in other places is irrelevant to what to tip in Cozumel. Cruise shippers probably get gouged on everything.

It's rare that I notice anyone else trip, but I guess that I am just focused on packing my gear and such. I wonder if the backpacker hostel dwellers ever do. I don't remember many crews ever suggesting trips really, and I'll admit that I didn't think about tipping when I first started diving.
This is a Cozumel forum. What they charge in other places is irrelevant to what to tip in Cozumel. Cruise shippers probably get gouged on everything.
Be nice. He's new here. :)

I just dove in Xcalak at XTC yesterday with a really nice German guy who had no clue about tipping. He had no idea how very, very little these DMs/captains make, and even if you throw them $5, it has to be split among everyone. So he is on the $10/tank plan now.

You pay out each drink you order? You don't run a tab? Seems every bartender will ask with the first drink if you want to keep a tab open so they have no idea what you will tip until you leave.
Okay, I suppose it depends on the circumstances. At some establishments, I walk up to the bar, order a drink (or two), and take it back to a table. I tip a dollar a drink. And when I return, I'm hoping they remember me as someone who did not stiff them. But when I'm seated at the bar, then sure, I would have a tab going, and I suppose I might tip on a percentage basis.

On that other issue, I don't think I have ever paid attention to what anyone else has tipped, anywhere.

What is their base pay?
Don, I’m curious also.

I looked at a couple of operators and the charge for a private DM is $70-$85. Granted, a small sample size of two. Also, how much before and after trip work they contribute to the company/trip or just along for the dive is unknown.

What is their base pay?
I was told last year by an older dive master who works for a well known dive shop in Coz, that he makes 25 bucks every time he gets “wet”. So, a two tank morning dive trip, he is making $50 from the dive shop only. The rest of his income would be the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom