Tipping!

How do you calculate a diving tip?

• I dont tip! Its too expensive...

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • A fixed percentage or amount of the total cost... ex.(5%, 10% or $20, $50)

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • A fixed percentage or amount per day... ex.(10%, 15% or $30/day)

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Totally arbitrary... ex.(whatever I have left over)

Votes: 24 32.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two points on tipping, talking here about long stays at a resort or on a liveaboard ...

- In SE Asia, 5% would be considered generous. In the Caribbean, some companies "suggest" a minimum of 15% in print ... that really bugs me.

- I much prefer a tipping method where tipping is "blind" ... you put your tip in a common pot, to be divided equally by the crew at a later date. In a well-run operation, everyone plays an important part ... they should all share equally, IMHO.

$5 per tank for the dm and recently I was with such a small but incredible operation I tipped the captain $5 per tank ( usually $5 per trip) - si's were a dream. The captain had a sport bottle full of iced water for every diver after we surfaced - took us to secluded beaches and made fresh guacamole , fresh fruit , then defogged your mask.. I could go on and on - they both earned it

I've only done one liveaboard and did the 15% thing - we all put them in envelopes and let the captain work it out with the crew

Sorry, just noticed this is on the Idonesian board

I think that there is a huge difference in attitudes towards tipping between North Americans and pretty much everyone else.
It is no coincidence that an overwhelming majority of responders to this thread (and most generous tippers) are based in North America. Many Europeans would consider tipping at the American level to be lubriciously high. Many Asians would consider such tipping as simply recklessly wasteful.

I don't claim to have any expertise on Indonesian culture, but my understanding is that tips are not expected at all in Indonesia.

Of course, if you are a dive master working on a liveaboard (or hotel employee) that is serving primarily American clientèle, you may become accustomed to receiving generous tips on a regular basis.

Keep in mind that while Indonesia is growing fast, it is still one of the poorer nations in SE Asia with GDP per Capita (PPP) of ~US$4000 and salaries there are very low.
(compare this to Thailand with ~US$8000 PPP Per Capita GDP and Malaysia with ~US$15000 PPP Per Capita GDP)

What % or total amount would be considered a normal tip for a well run two tank dive for Roatan/Cozumel? Thanks for any advice.
Guy

$5 per tank for the dm and recently I was with such a small but incredible operation I tipped the captain $5 per tank ( usually $5 per trip) - si's were a dream. The captain had a sport bottle full of iced water for every diver after we surfaced - took us to secluded beaches and made fresh guacamole , fresh fruit , then defogged your mask.. I could go on and on - they both earned it

I've only done one liveaboard and did the 15% thing - we all put them in envelopes and let the captain work it out with the crew

Sorry, just noticed this is on the Idonesian board
Gosh, where was this incredible op? I wanna go!

I go back and forth. Usually, I keep a $20 bill available for the day. Until I read this thread, I thought that I was being a curmudgeon!!! I've found, around the world, that it can go either way with the gratuity thing. In some European countries, you get the most awful service imaginable. I suppose it's all about the culture.

It's been my experience to follow the customs where you're at. I've found that if they're actually trying to increase their take by trying to take care of you best, make you feel that you're on vacation etc., they'll make more. I hate it when I see a young'un (or an older diver retiree hand) getting stiffed when I've seen 'em humpin' it hard all day long.

I think that when you're paying money, regardless of the tip, the experience should be good. I hate grumpiness, moodiness, indifference, "I'm the boss of this here boat"ness, crew squabbles. My dive time is so precious, I'm there to have a great time. Anyone tromps on that, I get a little bent and make it known. I've got no room for it.

I had someone relate to me that a boat captain on a fishing trip was cussing and yelling at the deckhand all day on a charter up where I live. I'd demand a turnaround right then and there and stop charge card payment. That's bull.

Most of these folks are doing the diving/fishing thing because they should want to. If they're not there to enjoy the lifestyle, they should quit, seriously.

By the same token, I never feel that they should be mistreated.

I usually give $10 for 2 dives, if my divemaster is indonesian and give a good service..
now i am confusing if i should give tip to my instructor..
i plan to take OW certificate this month and i dunno if i should tip..
what do you think?
i plan to go with $25 at the end of course. ow.. n also $5 for the driver though..

Indonesian really appreciates a tip.. but i prefer giving it at the end of day so i can see their 'sincerity' of service.. if i give in the beginning, they tend to act nicely for hoping more tips..

One thing I've noticed in Indonesia is the 21% added to the cost on lodging and food at resorts. 11% tax and 10% service. So is the 10% service considered a tip or are you supposed to tip in addition to that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom