Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DLR06

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I don't know if this is the best place for this post, but here goes. I'm getting ready for my first official dive trip to Maui and was wondering what was customary for tipping? Do you tip your divemaster and the captain? Thanks for the help.

:D Thrilled to be diving!!!

Usualy goes in a tip jar and it is split. I suggest $100 pp per tank.:wink:
Just kidding. $5/tank is a good tip, less if the service sucked, more if it was awsome. Enjoy your visit.
Aloha

I'm done diving with operations that have a tip jar. Good grief, how unprofessional is that anyway. If a customer feels that the crew did a great job, somehow a few bucks will find it's way into their hands.

Al Mialkovsky:
I'm done diving with operations that have a tip jar. Good grief, how unprofessional is that anyway. If a customer feels that the crew did a great job, somehow a few bucks will find it's way into their hands.

Agreed.

I try to set an example by tipping the crew in fromt of the rest of the customers. Many don't dive much and don't think to tip. If a waitress is worth 5 to 20 bucks or more to bring me a meal and a beer then a DM and Capt should be worth way more than that.

Wildcard:
I try to set an example by tipping the crew in fromt of the rest of the customers. Many don't dive much and don't think to tip. If a waitress is worth 5 to 20 bucks or more to bring me a meal and a beer then a DM and Capt should be worth way more than that.
You betcha they are.

Tipping is in a sad state around here on both sides.

I cannot stand the guy who has this huge sign that says " Tipping is not a City In China"

ugh..too in your face. No aloha.

And most guests don't tip from what I see.

And most operators (here) don't do that much for you compared to other places.

And the whole deal is 120 for a two tank dive so people cannot probably afford to tip much after all that.

And dive guides give "pushy speeches"....

I think I paid for a new house for the DM and skipper in Coz this year. Showed up the first day, dive four days, never had to touch my gear and it would be on the boat in the AM, clean, dry and set up. Now that is service!

I had an idea to take local dive t shirts along for tips ot trade.

they want cash fo the babies.

Back
Top Bottom