Tipping your dive instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was one of the 99 and I can't give you the breakdown of all of the classes but I can tell you what my class of 10 is doing now.
I certainly don't have a problem with instructor mills for the most part. I do have an issue with some of the advertising that promotes becoming an instructor as "Living the dream". I became an instructor because I was horrified by a few of the instructors I knew when I was the Skipper for BSA Venture Crew 7 out of the Central Florida Council. I was doing just fine as a Network Consultant and then ScubaBoard happened. :D I don't think I even noticed the ads until after I was an instructor and then I was kind of horrified about how they presented a far different picture than the reality of most instructors.

I think this thread exemplifies the differing attitudes between North America and the rest of the world towards tipping.

The only other point I would make is that scuba diving instructors in resorts have made that personal choice " to swap the ocean for the office and live the dream" as PADI call it. They usually accept that at best they will eke out a day to day living out of diving and get a roof over their heads and beer in hand at the end of the day .They view healthcare, pensions and owning a house as "materialistic" western things. This is their personal choice. If resort instruction is an overcrowded field and people struggle to make a living so be it. PADI certainly won't give a fig- their only interest is to have courses sold and rake in affiliation fees.
Remember that you are unlikely to see these resort instructors again. They are your friend while there but won't be interested when you go home. Remember also that as part of the PADI IDC they have been taught to sell courses in role play situations with the Course Director advising while one wannabee instructor plays the instructor selling courses to tourists while the others watch. They then swap around. Would you remotely contemplate tipping the car salesman or double glazing salesman? No of course not. By all means buy the resort instructor a beer at the end of the day but tip no. They'll soon forget you and move on.

I think this thread exemplifies the differing attitudes between North America and the rest of the world towards tipping.

The only other point I would make is that scuba diving instructors in resorts have made that personal choice " to swap the ocean for the office and live the dream" as PADI call it. They usually accept that at best they will eke out a day to day living out of diving and get a roof over their heads and beer in hand at the end of the day .They view healthcare, pensions and owning a house as "materialistic" western things. This is their personal choice. If resort instruction is an overcrowded field and people struggle to make a living so be it. PADI certainly won't give a fig- their only interest is to have courses sold and rake in affiliation fees.
Remember that you are unlikely to see these resort instructors again. They are your friend while there but won't be interested when you go home. Remember also that as part of the PADI IDC they have been taught to sell courses in role play situations with the Course Director advising while one wannabee instructor plays the instructor selling courses to tourists while the others watch. They then swap around. Would you remotely contemplate tipping the car salesman or double glazing salesman? No of course not. By all means buy the resort instructor a beer at the end of the day but tip no. They'll soon forget you and move on.

Tipping for a service is an expression of gratitude, not an offer of friendship. In certain industries, base pay is lower with expectations that tipping will supplement the income. You may or may not see your DM or instructor again, but respect should be given at time of service.

During my Open Water classes I lecture on tipping. Scuba is a service industry. The DMs on boats, in my case the folks who fill tanks and our Catalina Dive Park, and others, all work hard for us. Just as the person who takes our order and serves us our meal at dinner after our dive does. I tip based on the service they provide, not based on if I think I will ever see them again. I also tip the maid at hotels, who I never see. I just leave for them each day. Tipping is a thank you. An appreciation for how hard they work or going the extra mile. As their instructor the one thing I don't do is comment on tipping instructors.

Recently I received a thank you card in the mail with money inside as a tip. The card itself was one of the best tips ever. The money is spent, I still have the card.

Tipping for a service is an expression of gratitude, not an offer of friendship. In certain industries, base pay is lower with expectations that tipping will supplement the income. You may or may not see your DM or instructor again, but respect should be given at time of service.

Workers should be paid a living wage NOT rely on tips or handouts. In the UK their is a minimum wage by law. I realise that many dive instructors are freelance, but if they can't earn a living in a bloated field that's too bad.

It annoys me to see the instructor mumping a free dinner off poor Bedouin cafe owners in Dahab in return for taking divers there (who sometimes buy tea or nothing).

Our Dm's that assist with ow training dives usually make out well. I have seen them get as much as $250. in tips on a typical weekend at Dutch springs.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2013 at 08:23

Damn, I'm DM'ing for the wrong shop! I've DM'ed countless OW, AOW, and specialty weekend classes over the years - maybe 100 days total? I've received exactly ONE tip in all that time.

Your shop/instructors must be really hawking students to tip the DM's.

Having worked in resort-based environments since 2009 I have a few observations/comments to contribute. The majority of the instructors that I have worked with are passionate and driven people that care very much about their dive clientele. For many, it is one of the reasons they continue to work and live as they do. I have made lifelong friends from guests staying just a few days. I keep in touch with most of my students and many who I have dove with. Instructors and guides routinely go above and beyond what is expected of them, sometimes jeopardizing their well-being to assist divers that aren't even diving with their operation. Tipping is never expected but always appreciated. Sometimes it's a batch of home-made brownies, other times a can of shaving cream and some batteries and sometimes it is simple cash. "Thanks for taking care of me during the dive and helping me dial in my camera. Your suggestion to dive with 2 pounds less really worked and I am breathing so much less!" Sometimes a little can mean a lot. Thank you for diving with us and who knows where we will meet again!

I would never expect a tip for any class that I teach. The student has already paid the class fee for my expertise and service. If the student pulls money out, I usually tell them to save it for an equipment purchase or for their next dive trip. If a student/client pays for dinner, I'll gladly accept that.

When diving with a group leader or Divemaster, they should receive tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom