Tipping your dive instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My one tip in 4 years assisting OW courses was A BEER ($6 + tax here in Canada mind you).
Have received tips ranging from $20 to $200 for teaching a open water course to fully paid trips to Grand Cayman

My boyfriend will be certified in Playa Del Carmen in June. I was certified in Cozumel a couple of years ago and I cannot remember now what I tipped my instructor. I'd like some ideas on what to tip.
Perhaps offer to take them out to dinner
Information that may or may not matter - my father and I have used the dive shop a few times, we're friendly with the whole crew there (friends on Facebook, always use them when we're in PDC, etc.)

So, thoughts? My boyfriend will do academic instruction online before we get there and then he'll do the pool/OW dives there. What would be appropriate to tip the instructor per day? Also, don't know if it matters or not, but the instructor also owns the dive shop along with her husband.

Thanks for insight!!
offer to take them out to dinner

20% of the cost of the training would be good. If more time/effort required and the instr spent additional time with student ,then bigger tip..I have gotten anything from $20.-$100. to all paid for trips to Grand Cayman/Fla keys/Bahamas...

Have received tips ranging from $20 to $200 for teaching a open water course to fully paid trips to Grand Cayman

Deja vu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom