Tipping-History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are different cultures, and different customs associated. When I first travelled to US, in 1997, I did not know about the fact that tipping was "mandatory".
Here in Europe we are not used to such a mandatory tipping, and I generally never tip here.
Here in Italy we are instead used to asking for a discount, paying LESS than the standard price, both for food, drinks, or a for a taxi ride. Paying MORE looks completely absurd to us...
So I incurred in a number of unpleasant situations, until a waiter at the hotel did take the time of explaining me how the tipping system works in the US. Generally speaking, it is the only way for normal workers for not being ripped by the taxes, as tips are generally undeclared as an income.
This made me even more nervous, here in Italy people who take actions far avoiding taxes are considered the worst of criminals, true parasites of the society. My wage at the University is paid by the Italian public administration, and people saving on their due taxes are ripping my country and making it more difficult to pay my wage.
This means that I am totally against this concept of paying workers through untaxed tips instead of through a regular wage, subjected to income tax.
But I had to adapt myself to the local customs, so when I travel in countries were tipping is mandatory, I always tip at the minimum allowed and typically using the credit card so I have proof of the tip paid (which is of course required when I present the bills to my administration, for being refunded of the travel expenses).
Another problem I often encounter is that in many places I do not get a proper legally-bounding bill when I pay. I need it for being refunded, it is not acceptable that, when traveling for work, I loose money due to payments not providing me a proper bill.
I find profoundly wrong to tip by cash, leaving no electronic track of the payment. And I always pretend to get proper receipt for the tip paid, for being refunded - no receipt, no tip!. I respect the work done by waitresses and other service personnel, but I find unacceptable that I have to loose my own money not being able to be refunded for feeding this absurd tipping system.
Luckily enough these concepts are now widespread, and getting an electronic receipt for the tip paid is becoming more standard nowadays.

Per the IRS, the US federal taxing authority, tips are SUPPOSED to be declared as income.

Are Tips Taxable? IRS Offers ‘Tips’ on Tips | Internal Revenue Service

IMHO, travelers are responsible for doing some basic research on the customs/culture of the country they are planning to visit. Knowing to dress modestly in country X is as important as understanding the potential risks in venturing off into areas that are unsafe. We do all of this as part of our pre-trip planning and even set aside enough cash to cover tips when on an organized tour.

I am generous with tips on LOB (CC) and day boats (cash) wherever I go and generally follow the local standard.

I was not going to come back to this topic, but!
I subscribe to The New York Times, yes I pay for it, not a link, and found this on the front page on tipping:
Is This the End of Tipping?

I was not going to come back to this topic, but!
I subscribe to The New York Times, yes I pay for it, not a link, and found this on the front page on tipping:
Is This the End of Tipping?

Did you read the article?

The examples it cites seems to answer the headline’s question in the negative.

The article is more about a) how much it sucks to be a server now and b) harassment of servers than any emerging trend for restaurants to move away from the tipping system.

Yes I did read it, It was the harassment I found abhorrent : ” She refused. He declared, angrily, that he’d have to determine the tip by looking at her breasts, instead.“I went to the back of the restaurant, called my girlfriend, and screamed for a good 15 minutes,”
Also this, Quote:
In July, Mr. Meyer said he was reinstating tips at all his Union Square Hospitality Group businesses because he couldn’t deny his workers extra cash in a time of crisis. He added, though, that he was still committed to the eventual elimination of tipping.

Yes I did read it, It was the harassment I found abhorrent : ” She refused. He declared, angrily, that he’d have to determine the tip by looking at her breasts, instead.“I went to the back of the restaurant, called my girlfriend, and screamed for a good 15 minutes,”

I agree. The harassment was the most alarming part of the article. I was astonished that the obnoxious customer perpetrated this harassment in front of his own wife!

In a civilized society, the manager would throw this guy out and pay the server the tip she should have received--but that would happen after the wife throws her drink in her husband's face, walks out, and charges her Uber ride home to his credit card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom