Tipping Guideline For Galapagos Liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think a large portion of the trip price is for government fees and permits. I think some boats in the Galapagos are able to price high because the government limits the number of boats that operate there.

Galapagos is remote though. Their costs to operate are going to be higher than say the caribbean or southeast asia where crew, supplies, and fuel are easier and cheaper to source. I would put it as a combination of factors for the cost.

Galapagos is remote though. Their costs to operate are going to be higher than say the caribbean or southeast asia where crew, supplies, and fuel are easier and cheaper to source. I would put it as a combination of factors for the cost.
Compared to Cocos and Revillagigedos, they have a relatively short sail, especially to hit the 1st dive sites

for the guests. i am talking about supplies, spare parts, fuel, etc. those are getting shipped to san cristobal from the mainland.
That's also true for many islands, all over the world, some, quite remote

Except that you are eliminating another passenger, at regular price, who might also be paying a tip :)
This assumes that the boat is full. Which is often not the case. So while I am paying full rate, sometimes with single supplement, the boat may be discounting cabins in an effort to fill up...., which leaves me less than amused.

how is tipping discriminatory? I don't understand that comment at all
I meant to say that tipping is discretionary. But tipping should also be discriminatory. You tip for service above and beyond what is expected. Which means you do not tip evenly across the board because not every crew member provides service over and above expected levels.

I would agree that there are a combination of factors, one of which is the limited number of LOBs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom