Tipping Guideline For Galapagos Liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The engineer ensures that you continue sailing on your liveaboard without issue by keeping the boat engine and the compressor, and other various electrical or plumbing issues in good working order.

I should tip an engineer for doing his job and a LOB should uses what I pay for maintenance of the boat and paying the engineers wages.

No one tips me for doing my job. Nor should they.

Among the older dive guides, it used to be almost a given that if they knew Europeans were coming onboard, they ended up 'sick' that week.

They are so poor they can afford to take a week off with no income rather than not get tipped.

You have just shown how tipping is a scam.

I think tipping is obligatory in America. Other than that, we are in agreement that tipping is "discretionary based on the service you received."

Shall we just leave it at that?

You think? It might be expected but it's never obligatory. If I buy a coffee or snack or fast food I don't tip for that.

tip should be factored in when planning just like port fees

I'm flying business class from Taiwan to Maldives on Singapore Airlines in November. Should I prepare 10% of the ticket cost for the pilots and business class cabin crew. When I am in the business class lounges where everything is free ( or paid for in the ticket price ) how do I tip the staff for my self service food and beverages?

Someone just went on a tip rampage, 6 posts one after another, someone give Blackcrusader a tip!

I'm going to give my dive buddy instructor tips in Maldives. I'm going to give him tips on how to setup his new Perdix in OC Tec mode.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Bicker battles are against TOS. Further the topic is "how much" not "why or why not to tip". Any continuation of bicker battle or off topic discussion will result in a thread ban.

@Blackcrusader don't be obtuse. airline pilots aren't a tipped service and you know it. if you can afford business class, then you can afford to tip on the liveaboard.

Yes I can but should I? How much? Why? Or not? So if I don't tip airline pilots and crew why should I tip a boat crew?
Airline cabin crew don't make great wages either. How about my High Speed Railway driver and crew? They zoom me along at over 200mph on a train. Quite nice actually. They refuse tips in Taiwan and Japan.

So what you are saying is that I am "expected" to tip on a LOB but not for a ten hour flight that keeps me alive aver thousands of miles?
If I am "expected" to tip I see that as extortion quite frankly. I like tipping, it gives me and the recipient good vibes. However it must be voluntary not because someone expects to get an "extra" payment for doing their job they are already paid for. If I can afford the cost of a liveaboard then I can afford a tip for the flight crew. Or as airlines do, the price is inclusive in their service fees.

People claim that my life is in the hands of a guide. I say it's not. My life is in my own hands when I dive. I check all my own equipment or have it professionally serviced. I call dives before people even get in the water if I feel so. I did so with a good buddy as I saw he was unwell after a dive he got too cold. He thanks me for not letting him go on the next dive after lunch on the boar at Crystal Bay for Mola Mola as he was weakened after the first dive. He had the common sense not to join a dive for the sake of it. All he gave me for a tip was some milk for the black tea I brought from Alishan.

Also for a tip one needs to know what the normal required duties are for the person being tipped. So that's a judgement call from me. When you come from a culture where tipping is NOT expected or even in some countries where it's not allowed being asked for tips is a no no. Many businesses have a service charge built into their prices.

Back
Top Bottom