Tipping diving instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tipped my instructor not with cash but with a small gift and when me and my buddy gave it to him he seemed really surprised and grateful. It was nice to see because he even got a little teary eyed when me and my buddy began to say how great of an instructor he is. If you personally believe your instructor deserves some token of appreciation then do it! But if not just by telling them at the end of your last check out dive how you really enjoyed the class and how thankful you were for all their help is good enough. Hope this helps you out!

SHUCKS!! I knew I forgot something before I left. Actually I continue to dive with my instructor, as a buddy. Bring all my business to his dive center, have recommended him to my other dive buddies, and continued my advanced and specialty certifications with him. So in some way I'm showing my appreciation without the awkwardness of handing over a tip. Hope you find this helpful also.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for the insights...we gave our instructor and divemasters dinner and a movie gift cards...I especially like the idea of a note to the certifying agency, that's classy. I'll be writing that next!

It really depends on the person.

Me, I'd rather a nice note to my shop and certifying agency. I think that takes more time and effort than some money out of your wallet. I've haven't accepted a cash tip but my favorite tips have been the personal notes. I've also had some students learn to dive right before a vacation and then have brought me back a gift. Those things to me are really cool!

Case of beer?

A good bottle of wine. (NOT Two Buck Chuck!.) Seriously, I never tip local instructors for classes, except for something like a good bottle of wine. When I am diving on vacation I usually tip about 20% of the dive trip. All of this assumes good service, of course. If not, zip-o.

I learned my instructor liked scotch from talking to him after class. So, my tip was an 18yo bottle. I think it helps to make it personal. While no one will turn down cash, if you know your instructor well you might try for something more "gift-like".

The only tip I'd give him/her is to never bet on a 3 legged horse---If he/she would have wanted more(money) from you he/she would have charged you more........Think of what the letters in PADI stand for......(hint,.....he/she's supposed to be a professional)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom