Tipping diving instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We tipped ours, but he spent a lot of extra time with us and offered a couple of private sessions. A professional - absolutely, but he did deserve a little more.

If this is the case, I'm thinking there are several college profs I owe a little money to from over 35 years ago.....Out of curiosity, do you tip your doctor for doing more than is expected??--in 34 years of practice I've yet to see an extra dime(& I have gone the extra mile MANY a time)......

My only tipping currency is in B.E.E.R. at the bar :D

So... it boils down to... I'm with a more experienced diver or instructor... we have a pleasant dive... he shows me something I didn't know...I'll pick his nose at the bar after dive and buy him some beers as gratitude for showing it to me. That's it.

I'm a firm believer in after basic certification... find some experienced old farts... and dive alot with them... steal with your eyes... and if you have questions.. ask at the bar post dive :D Old school maybe but it works!

I personally have never tipped a diving instructor, for the reason that when I pay all this money up front for the course I am taking, a good amount is going to the owner and the shop, but the instructor also benefits from the cost. So it is not like they are not paid at all or very little, they are taken care of depending on how many students that instructor has. The more students they have over the years, the better the pay will be. But I am sure if you were to tip an instructor they would greatly appreciate it.

Luckily I work in Hawaii. Not many typical SB'ers are customers of the operators I have worked for, and 99.9% of the few SB'ers that are do understand and tip instructors, if the instructor goes the extra mile. If you don't go the extra mile here, your employment is shaky and your income does not pay for the necessities.

Luckily, there are generous students &/or parents so on average dive instructing nearly pays the bills, but non-tipping students in vacation locations should remember that we think your cheeks squeak and think others are basically paying your share.

If you can't afford the tip you can't afford the trip!

Luckily I work in Hawaii. Not many typical SB'ers are customers of the operators I have worked for, and 99.9% of the few SB'ers that are do understand and tip instructors, if the instructor goes the extra mile. If you don't go the extra mile here, your employment is shaky and your income does not pay for the necessities.

Luckily, there are generous students &/or parents so on average dive instructing nearly pays the bills, but non-tipping students in vacation locations should remember that we think your cheeks squeak and think others are basically paying your share.

If you can't afford the tip you can't afford the trip!

Simple question--------why doesn't the instructor/shop charge more for the classes if they are hurting for money??....

IMHO, a high percentage of divers will only pay the lowest price for diving and dive instruction. The percentage seems way higher here on SB. One reason to research activities on line is to find the best price.

For an easy example search the Hawaii O'hana for Maui Charter Operators and the hands down most recommended is the hands down cheapest.

If we raise prices we end up with less customers which means even more financial struggle.

Back
Top Bottom