Tipping diving instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathyt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I am new to diving and just finished my training for open water, I will be going for certification next weekend.

Can someone give me some advice for tipping instructors. Do I tip my instructor from the scuba diving store? If so, what is appropriate?

Thanks

There are two schools of thought on this - and one word of caution.

The schools are:

1) Instructors are paid by the shop and thus, tips are not necessary.

2) Instructors, being half-human, half-fish, like to know they did a job well and most certainly would not turn down a tip if offered. That being said, the prevailing thought is that cash is good, a gift card to a store/restaurant is also good. The amount is up to the discretion of the tipper.

The word of caution is that this has been asked here a LOT and some folks are going to tell you to perform a simple search to find these answers.

Good to hear yet another joins the world of diving. Good luck and have fun.

Tipping an instructor is probably more common in resort situations. But it is not unheard of in more "local" areas. I have recieved many "gifts" and an occasional tip. When you are not tipped regularly, it can feel awkward, but my Instructor Trainer told us: "Never turn down a tip."

Instructors get paid (usually) for teaching. But it is usually not very much. In the Seattle area, $50/student for an Open Water class is fairly normal. If the class isn't very big, this usually doesn't even cover the gas you buy while teaching the class.

I would encourage the practice of tipping the DM's or AI's. In most places, in the continental US, these folks are "volunteers."

Thanks so much for something I was wondering about too. Yes, perhaps most of my scuba questions have already been asked and answered before by those who have preceded me, but if just searching for old information was enough, we would never interact on these boards...we'd all be just googling!! So, thank you to those who are patient with us newcomers...you were one once upon a time too...was it really all that long ago?

I am new to diving and just finished my training for open water, I will be going for certification next weekend.

Can someone give me some advice for tipping instructors. Do I tip my instructor from the scuba diving store? If so, what is appropriate?

Thanks

20 % of the cost of the class may be appropriate..its the same as if you tipped the waitress at a restaurant.Oh , the waitress was not teaching you something to ensure you had fun and stayed alive while doing it.The instructor did.
Speaking as an instructor I always appreciate a tip.Never expect it,but always appreciate it.

Another instructor here who never expected a tip, but never refused one either.

But the most memorable was a diver who noticed that I liked my coffee. He gave me a pound of nice coffee. It was a great gift/tip.

Don't worry - this is one of those great situations where it's hard to offend, whether you don't tip, tip, or even tip too much (is there such a thing?)

The best tip I ever got was from a pair of instructors who came to dive with me here for a week. They know how much they appreciate tips where they live and work, and they also know how much we all try to make our customers' vacations fun. They passed it forward. I do the same when I'm on a dive vacation--I always tip the dive staff.

During the many times I was a student diver I also tipped nearly every instructor I had other than at the IDC. One of the nice things about showing appreciation to your instructor--in whatever way, be it a letter of praise to the certifying agency, a meal, a gift of special coffee, or cash--is that it enhances warm feelings and solidifies that mentor relationship we hope to have with our students.

I say tip the dive masters. It can be as simple as buying their dinner. Most divemasters don't get paid. I wouldn't know how to gracefully turn down a tip but if it is cash I will buy dinner for the DM's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom