Tipping Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate this post. I will going out with my two daughters for two days of diving in the W.Palm area. (2-tanks on Thur and 3-tanks on Fri). So I am pretty much fitting the bill for the whole shebang! I don't mind tipping well, but it seems like in the last several years it has just gotten out of control. IMHO, Tip jars on the counter at DQ are just rediculous. **Rant OFF**

So, I need to plan for tips for both days... So keeping $150 with me is in order? (for both days) Do you tip the captain too? What if there are more than one DM, or crew on shore lumping gear?

I really prefer to handle my own gear, but sometimes it seems rude when they jump in to grab your bags. With computers, regs, lights, cameras etc, do I really need to pack for high impact and just accept that they might not be gentle with my gear?

I just normally don't carry much cash with me, so I want to plan ahead..

Also, in the interest of full disclosure: Please post your status for your point of view.. If you area a dive professional or an experienced diver so we know where you are comming from.

I'm a warm water, recreational diver. I don't think you can go too wrong tipping as you would other staff on vacation. 10 to 20% based on level of service with a little something extra if they provide something extra. That sort of allows for the differences relative to where you are diving. To the OP...this can be a contentious subject on SB for all the obvious reasons, so if you are new to this, I'm posting just so you know everybody doesn't drop a c-note.:wink: Have fun and try not to worry too much about it. These things generally take care of themseleves on a trip. Just be nice. If you're really concerned, ask at the shop (not necessarily on the boat) and adjust from there. It won't be their first rodeo. All IMHO, YMMV. :)

I also tip $10/tank, ends up being about 20% of the bill. I dive with the same 4 operators in Boynton Beach and Jupiter most of the time. I have a very good relationship with all of them and it returns benefits. I simply plan on spending this. I pay this in cash every day, or even twice per day if doing 2 trips and the crew is changing.

I give it to the DM or mate, expect the crew to split it

Last edited:
I do the $10/tank because it's easiest. I only boat dive in the S. U.S. I have been lucky over the years in that the service has been good (don't remember any poor service, anyway), so I have gotten into perhaps a bad habit of giving the DM the $20 before the boat leaves the dock (again, lazy--one more thing to not think about or worry about where to stash $20 on board). If I ever run into a poor service DM I may change that. I suppose you may increase the tip if it's a long offshore dive because of the longer day the DM has, but I haven't done those trips. I wouldn't base an increased tip based on cost of the charter--ei. a %, because the boats I take may simply charge more or less. There are a ton of threads on this.

here in Florida, the crew (DM/deckhands) usually work only for tips and crews share tips. Captains are usually paid (or are owners). Make sure you know how your boat is organized. On the boats I work, the captain will announce that the crew does not get paid and works solely for tips. If a boat is vague on how they work it then something fishy is going on. I feel that you pay good money to go diving and you deserve to know how it works.

As a crew member I always appreciate a tip at the end of the day, however I try to always provide a good service and ensure safety. Some people tip, some tip really well, some don't tip at all, luck of the draw. Some divers make it clear they want no help and that is fine, and I expect no tip. I will be honest thought, 99 percent of the people on our boats I have found are good tippers, and in cases where I have had to guide in the water as well as assist on deck, or if dealing with divers with special needs, I have always found the tip is reflective of the work I do. At the end of the day though for me, I get to enjoy being out on a boat, maybe do some diving myself. I understand the sport is expensive and sometimes people don't have that little extra to give, just glad to see them out supporting the industry.

I also tip $10/tank, ends up being about 20% of the bill.

A $100 2 tank dive? That's expensive!... Around here, $10 per tank would be about 30% for the most expensive operators. 40% for the cheap ones...

A $100 2 tank dive? That's expensive!... Around here, $10 per tank would be about 30% for the most expensive operators. 40% for the cheap ones...

With your own tanks. So what do you tip?

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2016 at 11:28 AM ----------

As a crew member I always appreciate a tip at the end of the day, however I try to always provide a good service and ensure safety. Some people tip, some tip really well, some don't tip at all, luck of the draw. Some divers make it clear they want no help and that is fine, and I expect no tip. I will be honest thought, 99 percent of the people on our boats I have found are good tippers, and in cases where I have had to guide in the water as well as assist on deck, or if dealing with divers with special needs, I have always found the tip is reflective of the work I do. At the end of the day though for me, I get to enjoy being out on a boat, maybe do some diving myself. I understand the sport is expensive and sometimes people don't have that little extra to give, just glad to see them out supporting the industry.

I generally need no help, that does not mean I do not appreciate the hardworking people on the boat that would help me if I needed it and help many of the other customers on an ongoing basis. I am happy when they say goodbye on the way out and welcome back when I return.

I don't need any help as well, but appreciate it, especially if it's rough seas. When you get any help, gearing up goes faster, which is good for both myself and the crew. So we get to the dives quicker and back to the dock for the long drive ahead.

here in Florida, the crew (DM/deckhands) usually work only for tips and crews share tips. Captains are usually paid (or are owners). Make sure you know how your boat is organized. On the boats I work, the captain will announce that the crew does not get paid and works solely for tips. If a boat is vague on how they work it then something fishy is going on. I feel that you pay good money to go diving and you deserve to know how it works.
I often dive in that area on boats that say the same thing, and I wonder how that works legally. An employee is supposed to make at least minimum wage. In the restaurant business, employers are allowed to pay less than minimum wage up front on the theory that the employee will get enough with tips to surpass minimum wage, but if the tips do not bring the employee up to minimum wage, then the employer is required to make up the difference.

Does that happen on a dive boat? I find it hard to believe it is legal otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom