Tinkering w/ DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
Suppose I don't quite think the plastic clip on this is as strong as I'd like. Any thoughts on a good replacement? Trying to find a stainless steel split ring? Something else? Thanks!

upload_2019-12-15_13-49-45.jpeg

+1, ss split ring. Just cut the plastic one off. And you can usually find one in the hardware section of one of the big box stores.

Better to go to a Marine supply store. Most of the junk you find at hardware stores is low quality steel and not suitable for long term use in salt water. Or just order some from DiveGearExpress, etc.

Piranha makes a close-able brass bolt snap for just $2.49 that will fit thru that loop and then you can squeeze or hammer it closed. I've use them before and they work fine. I've never had good luck with split rings.

Swivel-Open-End-Bolt-Snap14018-9489_th.jpg

Swivel Open End Bolt Snap BRASS , Piranha Dive Shop |

If you are "permanently" tying the SMB to a spool, you could just run the line through the same thicker plastic bit that the SMB strap runs through and it should work fine.

Cut the plastic ring off and make a small ring from paracord. If you are wanting a bolt snap then tie a real one to the webbing with paracord. In rigging, paracord, bungee and cave line are your friends.

Something like this would work:

dx-60214_2.jpg

or this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt5-C3j0gEI9lRKIYJZqaY0WV4qfJ6nXqW_HM8ejysV1neEmSr&s.jpg

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom