Time to replace my 30 years old Suunto EON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it, over in California some ambulance chasers convinced a judge that "she could have been still alive if only her computer would have displayed the correct number" is a good enough argument to sue the Evil Megacorp whose legal dept. took the cheaper way out and settled like everyone expected. AFAIK Suunto offered free testing and replacement to users living in the jurisdiction where the above lawsuit took place, but nowhere else, which to me suggest the failure rate may be well within the vendor's specs and the whole thing is a typical "only in America" class-action lawsuit story.

I have five Suunto dive computers that failed due to sensor failures. Two of them failed more than once. One Cobra failed three times and Suunto is always expecting me to pay for the replacements. Suunto's customer service and products are a piece of fish manure.

Thank you all for your comments.

I ended up getting the Suunto EON Core + Tank Pod. It was hard decision between the Core, Perdix and i770R
All 3 of them are great computers and each has unique features the others don't.

In addition to the features and technical specs, the price also played a factor. I was able to find it for a little over $700 for the kit including the tank pod and shipping to the US at www.godive.net which I recommend. Their communication and service are great.

I am so sorry to hear about your gear being stolen.

BTW, I was born and grew up in Tel Aviv and got certified in 1987 at Octopus which I think still operates at the seaport.

I agree the Suunto is more conservative as they use their own Fused RGBM algorithm but I can live with it as I do mostly recreational dives.

I totally agree with you about having AI and using larger panel vs. Watch. Just easier to read.

I will try to take a closer look at the i770r although I can get the EON set for almost half the price.

Did you notice a significant difference in power consumption through dives? I also would charge them every night before the next day but I am just curious.

Power-wise-- I didn't notice anything major. I'm guesstimating that I was able to do a few days of 2-3 dives/day before thinking about recharging. That said, it's a good point, and I'll try and pay attention to that stat the next time I dive and will post (if it's still relevant here).

The cost was really what did it for me on the Eon-- both awesome computers, couldn't justify the price differential for the i770r in the end.

Funny re Tel Aviv! I'm not familiar with Octopus, but I do use Dugit a lot for service and gear as I need it. They're a great outfit up near the namal on Ben yehuda.

Power-wise-- I didn't notice anything major. I'm guesstimating that I was able to do a few days of 2-3 dives/day before thinking about recharging. That said, it's a good point, and I'll try and pay attention to that stat the next time I dive and will post (if it's still relevant here).

The cost was really what did it for me on the Eon-- both awesome computers, couldn't justify the price differential for the i770r in the end.

Funny re Tel Aviv! I'm not familiar with Octopus, but I do use Dugit a lot for service and gear as I need it. They're a great outfit up near the namal on Ben yehuda.

Yup, I ended up getting the EON Core from the UK... It was half the price than in the US and much lower than the i770R.

I actually purchased my gear at Dugit (although got verified at Octopus)
This was in the days they used to be at the end of the Tel Aviv port... Where the Shalvata bar is today but the store in Ben Yehuda was always there too.
I used to DJ some cool parties at the port location before it got torn down and rebuilt....

Back
Top Bottom