Time to help another noob pick out a wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krtismo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody, first off I would like to say that last year, the friendly members here helped me pick out fins and a mask that I'm am very happy with! Thanks! And now this spring its time to take the next step and add some more gear to my collection.

I currently live in West Michigan, and I spend a lot of time every year snorkeling the lakes and rivers. Last year I upgraded my Fins, Boots, Mask, and Snorkel, and this year I plan on getting a new full wetsuit, gloves, and a hood so I can spend some more time in the cooler Michigan waters. My old shortie wetsuit isn't getting the job done.

Now my long term plan is to transition into diving in the next year or two, so I'm picking out my gear with diving in mind.

Another thing I need to consider is that I will be getting married in the fall and my wife and I will probably be moving to a warmer climate. Probably somewhere between Maryland and Southern Florida.

Now that you know my life story (Sorry)....

Here is the suit I am considering right now based on price, warmth, and ability to wear just one half.

NeoSport 7 Mil John & Jacket reviews and discounts, Neosport

Not sure whether this info will help or not, but I'm kind of a big guy. 6'4" 205-210 Skinny/Slightly muscular build

Let me know what you think, and if there are any recommendations. Just remember, I have a wedding, honeymoon, and potential job change and major move to pay for at the end of the year, so price is a bit of an issue.

Thanks everyone!

I have several Pinnacle Elastoprine suits and have been very happy with these - easy on and off (even the 7 mm) and very warm.

Any of the well know name brand suits are quality products that would suit you well under one condition...It must fit you well!!! It should be skin tight without being constrictive. Don't stretch a small suit too tight even if it is a hyperstretch, superstretch, quantum stretch, elastoprene type. These type do stretch more for hard to fit people but have their limits also. When considering protection error on the side of a little too warm this can be compensated for by letting in some cool water when needed. If the dive profiles that interest you are too varied you may need multiple suit and/or layering.
I and my wife each have a 2mm shortie, a 3mm full, and a 7mm full and have used the shortie and 3mm together. The brands really don't matter just get stuff that fits you and your needs.

So that henderson package isn't just junk then? If it will hold up and work fine for a few years, then I'll probably just get that.

and I can always wear my 2mm shortie underneath it in cold water. Good Idea.

Personally, I like Pinnacle just because they fit me better than Hendersons. If a Henderson suit fit me in the ankles, I would have bought Henderson. My wife has two Henderson suits and loves them.

One nice thing about most farmer john suits is that they are front zip. Who ever set the standard that a suit is a back zip has a special room in hell waiting for them.

each brand cuts suits differently so for example a large henderson and a large scuba pro will not fit the same.

you wont notice these differences as much in the thinner suits but the thicker they get the more important it is they fit properly or breathing may get uncomfortable and range of motion will be limited.

I tend to tell people to get a 7mm suit or a 7mm 2 piece, of course thats what i had and I used it in minnesota under the ice (never again) and in cozumel on drift dives. its easy to cool off in a 7mm if you ever get to cold but its hard to warm up if your suit is to thin for the water temps.

everyone is sensitive to cold to different degrees so what might be thick enough for me in 60 degree water may not be close to enough for you.

neoprene compresses with depth, at 130ft (limits of recreational scuba) a 7mm suit is something like 2 or 3mm thick (dont quote me) so the depth range you intend to dive in will play a big part in the thickness and type of suit you need to get.

also keep in mind that the thicker the material the more lead you will need to sink. if you are currently snorkeling then you are not going below the thermocline probably so a thinner suit will probably function well and keep you from needing a huge weight belt to get below the surface.

if your planning to dive though a thicker suit will work better especially if you dive colder waters or plan to do a variety of diving in differnt temps.

However the thicker suits dont travel light so if you intend to fly you might look into something lighter.

another good option is something like a 5mm full suit and one of those 3 or 5mm hooded shorty vest type things. if its cold you can put both on or use just one layer for your warmer ventures. scubapro used to make a setup like this but I dont know if they still do. several companies make hooded vests though and if I ever get a new suit thats how my hood will be.

also if you dont fit into the SML,MED, LRG, XLRG or whatever standard cuts then a custom suit or a suit made of the ultra fancy stretch material may be necessary. its worth an extra $100 for a suit that fits well or you wont stay warm. and the fancy materials allow a much better range of motion and breathing seems more comfortable.

so really its hard to answer your question with something simple, you need to weigh the issues in front of you and make the decision based on your needs.

I love my Henderson Hyperstretch Suits (7mm and 2mm). I am a difficult fit (short and round), and they both fit like custom made. While not well advertised, Henderson makes a woman's petite, so this is pretty much what saved me from having to get a custom made suit. I don't know if they do, but at your height, Henderson may make a TALL size. If yes, and I were you, I'd definitely look into it. You can always send it back if it doesn't fit correctly, but my guess is that a regular length is going to be too short.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom