time to get a dive-car - seeking ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saab 9-2x
Rebadged version of the Subaru Impreza Wagon- the turbo version, called "Aero" is the same as the WRX.
AWD. Lots of room with the seat down. Only made '05-06. Non-turbo (Linear) get decent mpg.
HUGEly discounted as a used car- I found a two year old Linear with 14K miles for $14k- half off the sticker.

I have a Jeep grand cherokee. I reall like it and can haul all I need. Have to say though, terrible gas millage. 15 around town. but I only drive 400 miles a month so I can get by. I also bought the 'limited' package used. only a couple hundred more bucks used and VERY VERY well worth it.

After cleaning the trunk of my car several times after beach dives, I'd have to say being able to just hose off the interior is a HUGE, HUGE necessity for any kind of dive car that you have any desire to keep somewhat clean. That's a big ding against the otherwise excellent SUV/station wagon solutions.

I have a Ford Escape and works great for traveling with gear and kids. The seats fold down flat which makes it great for sleeping and gear.

I have a Nissan Frontier. It has a ribbed bed for holding tanks stable, as well as rails for included slide-in clips. I configure the clips to hold bungies which means anything can be secured easily.

It's a factory installed bed lining, and can be hosed off after use. It takes a soft or hard top on the bed (I prefer the soft, which can be easily removed and stowed, so equipment can be left to dry in the sun, on the way home.

With 6 cylinders, and 265 horses, it easily pulled my SeaRay bowrider (if you plan on diving off your own boat). The sticker says 16 city/20 highway, however, I regularly get 22 highway, and approximately 19 mixed (I use *only* synthetic oil, and you won't convince me that it has nothing to do with the great mileage).

Has room for five (and actually fits five adults comfortably) in the crew cab.

The ride is more car-like, than truck-like, and the ammenities of my LE version gives you the accessorized feeling of a car.

Finally, I have 55,000 miles on it (bought it new), and other than replacing the battery with a Duralast, have *never* had a single issue with this truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom