time to get a dive-car - seeking ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fubari

Registered
Reaction score
So what is a good vehicle to use for commuting to work & hauling dive gear (and sometimes snow-skiing gear) on weekends? What do you like to drive ( or wish you did drive? :) ).

My budget says "used vehicle" (and it would be unwise to park a new one on Chicago's streets anyway... some days I love living in the city, other days how I wish I had a garage :sigh: ). I'm thinking around 2001-2004 for whatever model it happens to be.

I bought my last car (4 door malibu) before I started diving and it was a squeeze.

I look forward to your insights and experience!

One of my dive buddies has a Honda Element, and that's got to be one of the nicest dive vehicles out there. The entire inside is plastic and can be hosed off. There's a ton of space, and we got three people's worth of gear and tanks for a whole day's diving in it, and three people, and the guy in the back seat had more leg room than I did! Unfortunately, it's not AWD, and I don't think it has that option, which might be an issue in Chicago.

You didn't say WHAT your budget was so I'm going to suggest a new car -- the Dodge Caliber which at the low end is less than $15,000.

I got the AWD version because of our weather (and skiing). With the back seat folded down it easily holds two sets of doubles and full cold water gear -- and gets about 25 mpg (the lower end ones get better mileage with the smaller engines/front wheel drive).

I've had mine for 360 days, 17,000 miles -- I'd get it again.

One of my dive buddies has a Honda Element, and that's got to be one of the nicest dive vehicles out there. The entire inside is plastic and can be hosed off. There's a ton of space, and we got three people's worth of gear and tanks for a whole day's diving in it, and three people, and the guy in the back seat had more leg room than I did! Unfortunately, it's not AWD, and I don't think it has that option, which might be an issue in Chicago.

My regular dive buddie has the Element. We've put 3 guys, 4 sets of doubles, 02 bottles, and stages, with gear boxes for several dive trips. Sand, mud, water all offer no problem with the interior. It's our vehicle of choice over my SUV for milage, cost per mile. We dive almost every other weekend a round trip of 320 miles from Orlando to Cave Country and have put over 50,000 miles on it in less that two years. While we don't ski, it does have a roof rack. Good luck in choosing your ride.

My regular dive buddie has the Element.
Cool - thanks for the ideas everyone.
The Caliber is interesting - I was thinking that new was out of my price range.
I would not have thought of an Element - a good idea.

We use Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 3.8l engine. When u take out back seat it has room for 4 sets of dive gear with tanks as well as all the food and chillers and tent with all camping gear. We have floor mat to protect it from wet gear and it has served us great.

I purchased a used 2003 Ford Focus station wagon with diving in mind....great car for it!!

This is a car just like mine.........

2comvrp.jpg

I just traded in my last excellent dive vehicle for a new one. My old one was a Mazda MPV (2001). Excellent dive ride - holds all the gear and very easy to put on tanks (singles, doubles, whatever) while sitting at the back. Plus the tailgate keeps the rain off.

BUT - I needed a truck as well for around the yard, so traded the MPV on a new Ford Ranger 4x4 with a topper (you need 4x4 where I live in the winter). VERY INEXPENSIVE and Ford (Canada) has a 5 year zero interest thing going on right now. I've already used it several times to dive, and the tailgate is low enough for very nice equipment donning. Loads of room to store gear as well.

I will never again buy Chrysler/Dodge. Had two 1995-96 Neons. Both went through several head gaskets and sets of oil seals - with ZERO extended warranty from Chrysler Canada - even though it was a well documented problem (TWO SETS OF ENGINE SEALS IN A CAR WITH UNDER 60000 km? NO WAY!). Last service the area service manager (all of southern alberta) told me "if you were stupid enough to buy a Neon you got what you deserved". Sure, buddy. NEVER EVER AGAIN with Chrysler. Nice cars, but the warranty support is absolute CR*P!

-S

I am still using my Mazda MPV. Love its roominess. 4 pax and plenty of room left for everyone's dive gear with DPVs well. Reliable MPV which has goven me few problems over 10 years use. Worth every penny paid for it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom