Time to fly questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallasM5

Reaction score
I'm new to diving, so allow some latitude ....

I know the answer will vary quite a bit, but here's a theoretical question that I'm just looking for very general answers. After 2 same day dives to 80 ft. for 40 min. with an hour or two between, how long does your computer typically give you as "time to fly"?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide between the Vyper and Vytec. It's my understanding that the Vyper does not allow you to switch between modes (Nitrox vs. Air) until this time has expired. My concern is that one day I may just do air and another day Nitrox, depending on who's diving with me. If the "time to fly" is typically less than 20 hours, then I could get away with the cheaper Vyper.

Thanks in advance!

Ahhhh, I knew there HAD to be a simple answer to this question and I couldn't be the only person that had this issue!

Thanks so much, Charlie. You just saved me $250!

This does bring up another question though. Why do they even have an "Air" mode? Why not just have it be "Nitrox" all the time and you just program in the % O2?

dallasM5 once bubbled...
This does bring up another question though. Why do they even have an "Air" mode? Why not just have it be "Nitrox" all the time and you just program in the % O2?

Some new divers wouldn't rmember that Air is 21% Oxygen, not realize this would work for Air, think the machine was good for Nitrox dives only.

YUou're ready to get wet, aren't you? Me, too! After you log a few dozen dives, rack up your AOW and Nitrox cards, you'll need to go on a NC Wreck Diving trip with us.

don

Because its easier to have an air mode for people that aren't diving nitrox. Most computers on default reset to 50% O2 after a nitrox dive so unless you reset it back to the correct percent it won't work out very well for you. (Has happened to me at 60 feet, heard a wah wah from a boat going by thought it might be a sign of O2 tox, looked at my computer to check my depth and it was scrolling O2 tox go up, gave me a decent scare)

dallasM5 once bubbled...
I'm not familiar with the Suunto computers, but it is probably a case of not cluttering up the display with the extra data on O2 CNS loading.

Believe it or not, there is a whole class of divers that get so confused by extra information on the display that they turn off the NDL calculations and simply use the computer as bottom timer! :mean:

Burner once bubbled...
Because its easier to have an air mode for people that aren't diving nitrox. Most computers on default reset to 50% O2 after a nitrox dive so unless you reset it back to the correct percent it won't work out very well for you. (Has happened to me at 60 feet, heard a wah wah from a boat going by thought it might be a sign of O2 tox, looked at my computer to check my depth and it was scrolling O2 tox go up, gave me a decent scare)

Thanks for the "heads-up"! That does make sense if you know you'll only be diving air.

This board is great for finding out all these little nuggets of info and pointers!

Burner once bubbled...
Because its easier to have an air mode for people that aren't diving nitrox. Most computers on default reset to 50% O2 after a
Suunto resets to 21%, so if you forget, you're on air tables.

Most either do that, or reset the deco tables to 21% (most conservative) and reset O2 tox level to 50% (most conservative).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom