Time scales of DCS symptoms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So even if no symptoms were present at all during the first 12 hours, it's still possible? (Assuming no altitude change) How does this happen? And how would it classify as subclinical or clinical DCS? (Meaning, what would the symptoms be if it were subclinical/clinical?)

Hello John:

How DCS can develop so slowly is a bit of a mystery. You would think that all gas that can escape has done so already. Some possibilities:
  • Dissolved gas from one tissue (adipose) diffuses into another (e.g., tendon). This is referred to as “intertissue diffusion”
  • There are biochemical effects that result in inflammation, a slow process, that eventually manifests itself as pain (and is not particularly responsive to recompression therapy)
  • Small bubbles (high internal pressure) shrink and one large bubble (low internal pressure) grows. I refer to this as an Ostwald/Bergeron process, and it is undemonstrated in barophysiology. [It is well known in meteorology and chemistry.]
Dr Deco :doctor:

Oh ok... well... I was just being my usual paranoid self after my uncontrolled ascent last Sunday. :s It's Thursday, and the tinggling in my left arm went away, and the ache in my shoulder is almost gone (mind you, even at it's worst, I wouldn't notice my shoulder until I sat down and actually thought about it) I think I just pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve while doing pull-ups last Tuesday.

Thanks again for all your help, and all the info!

All's well that ends well.

Dr D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom