Time for new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pedo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My genesis resource just died and I need a replacement. What's a good puck style replacement? Or should I just get another resource? It really meets all of my needs.

Sounds like you may have answered your own question. Mares make a very simple and cheap puck computer, the Suunto zoop would also be another option, or sub gear, or Uwatec Aladin, or Cressi Leonardo, or one of the offerings by oceanic. It all really depends on what your looking for feature wise and the type of diving you do, budget etc. if you can provide a little more info it might be easier to offer more detailed advice/recommendations.

Suunto Zoop is also a good option

I have an Aeris XR2 which is brand new, Nitrox capable, and I'd sell it for $199
scott@divealaska.net

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have answered your own question. Mares make a very simple and cheap puck computer, the Suunto zoop would also be another option, or sub gear, or Uwatec Aladin, or Cressi Leonardo, or one of the offerings by oceanic. It all really depends on what your looking for feature wise and the type of diving you do, budget etc. if you can provide a little more info it might be easier to offer more detailed advice/recommendations.

Yeah, I know. Just doing recreational diving. I was just wondering if there were any other computers that might have more features for about the same price. I can get the Genesis for around $180

Yeah, I know. Just doing recreational diving. I was just wondering if there were any other computers that might have more features for about the same price. I can get the Genesis for around $180

I did a wee search, the Genesis looks like an old model? is yours nitrox compatible? the Suunto Zoop, wrist mount or console, is a simple, cheap and reliable nitrox compatible computer. You can also buy a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount for it which not only offers redundancy against it falling off yor wrist but makes putting it on and off a breeze. If you'd like any more info feel free to post or PM me. Good luck with yor search.

If you are wanting to put it into an existing console you'd need to check for fitting. I can measure the diameter if you need that info.

Hi pedo,

We put the Suunto Zoop in our rental line for several reasons...

1. they are easy to use
2. they are reliable
3. they have a user changeable battery
4. you can put it in a console or wrist mount

best wishes,

Start with our Dive Computers Research Tool

Whatever brand/model you purchase, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

good idea, but it it seems limited somewhat.

I chose technical, wrist mount, no AI, no compass and the tool found 4 Shearwater Predator models. Surely there are other computers that fit this search criteria.

Yeah, I know. Just doing recreational diving. I was just wondering if there were any other computers that might have more features for about the same price.

What features do you want?

That is something you really want to think about in your choice. A lot of people rarely or even never use a lot of the whizbang features on their computers. Think about the kind of diving you do now and then consider the kind of diving you will likely be doing in the future. When you look at the computer, ask yourself if you area really going to need the additional features. To take the point to an extreme, if you aren't going to be doing tech diving, you don't need a computer that works with helium and can run a rebreather. Somebody wants and needs those futures, but it probably isn't you. Staying in the recreational world, you will find that a lot of computers have features that aren't going to do you any good, and if they aren't going to do you any good, don't pay for them.

Back
Top Bottom