Time for a Bit-O-Fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK! I will be the first lamb to the slaughter.

The two things which I saw were numerous entanglement hazards with tree limbs and such in the water. I saw the fiishing rod which means there are probably rusted lures and hooks along with fishing line to get entangled. I could not tell, but it looks like there might be something of a dam down towards the lake? How secure is it? Could it possibly breakdown and trap a diver. There were numerous tires along the edge of the water which indicates it is a dumping ground. What else might be there with the tires?????

On the otherside of the coin, there is plant growth down to the water, plant growth around the water, and if there are fish in the area, it bodes better for water quality. Check along the shore for small fish as they tend to be less resistent to pollution. Soft shell crabs tend to like clean water as well.

As normal, take water samples for future checking to be safe.

Those were my initial observations.

Dan

Good job but not all of it. There is one hazard I don't think anyone outside of my team will get.

Gary D.

Is there a sub-surface water intake from the first picture to the second?

more thoughts from a fellow lamb...

looks like a decent volume of water flowing in a fairly small area, hence current/ eddies, as well as subsurface. Additional piping and conduit can be there as well.

Since we do not know what is upstream, the normal FFM/ comms/vulcanized suit precautions. I think i see a Long Island Whitefish (alias condom) :p

My guess is that your team has made the dive. My line of thinking, it would be safer in recovery mode where we had the chance to see if we could work with local public works to reduce/ stop water flow, wait a few days to allow rainwater to gravitate, et cet. Utilize pike poles, alternative search methods before putting divers in. (again, rescue versus recovery either body or evidence)

You guys are thinking and that's good.

The water you see coming out is from the dam or dike. In the first pic you can see the spillway in the distance with water going over it. It can't be shut off.

It is good clear clean water with some very nice trout in there. Like 10-15 pounders in the lake and 5-10 pounders in the water you're seeing. They get trapped after going through the debris grate.

Now would it make a difference if I told you it is only about 5' deep at this flow rate?

Reefguy is a bit warmer but not very. :wink:

Gary D.

Where's the outflow??????

Nice strainer in the 2nd picture too.

tc246:
Where's the outflow??????

Nice strainer in the 2nd picture too.

Here is a birds eye view of the area.

The first photo is looking at the spillway off in the distance. The water flow is towards you.

The second photo is right next to the spillway but is a lower culvert. The water flow is away from you.

Hint: Have you noticed the water has not gonot gone very far from the spillway?
Hint #2: The water from the culvert only goes about 3 times as far.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...&phone=&spurl=0&&q=honeysuckle beach&qc=Beach

Go to the aerial photo and zoom in on the lower left corner of the lake. There you will see the spillway and just below it is the culvert.

Gary D.

From your description, it seems like if you get too close to the end of the pool, you get a trip through the culvert.

Whitelightnin:
From your description, it seems like if you get too close to the end of the pool, you get a trip through the culvert.
Nope, the water is flowing out so it will push you away from it.

Another hint: It has something to do with a two state water supply.

Keep trying.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom