Time and depth please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samaka

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
When it comes to Dive Roster every single dive operator has an oppinion how it should look and what should be on there.

What do you think of Time and Depth? Should this info be taken and noted after each dives or should it not?

...a...

When it comes to Dive Roster every single dive operator has an oppinion how it should look and what should be on there.

What do you think of Time and Depth? Should this info be taken and noted after each dives or should it not?

...a...

Well.... the cynic in me wants to say that it depends on the nationality of the diver...

but I can understand wanting to keep that information. If for some reason one of the divers becomes unwell after a dive and needs a trip to the chamber, and assuming you don't know which computer that diver was using, then it would be helpful for the chamber personnel to have a rough idea of the dive profile.

R..

I wouldnt want to be the one tracking that. If the divers on your boat are certified then its up to them to properly plan sequential dives. When the operator begins to take this information and recognizes a time at depth issue between subsequent dives then there is an obligation to alter or correct the clients profile. But.... what if the data is recorded with no observations/corrections made and there is marginal time at depth issue followed by a minimal surface interval and then following the next dive a problem develops? In my opinion, leave as much responsibility on the client diver as possible and take on what ever else is left t insure safe diving. But, hey, I am one of the people who doesnt think that diving is for anyone that just falls off the boat. It wasnt so long ago that diving was an extreme sport.

I wouldnt want to be the one tracking that. If the divers on your boat are certified then its up to them to properly plan sequential dives. When the operator begins to take this information and recognizes a time at depth issue between subsequent dives then there is an obligation to alter or correct the clients profile. But.... what if the data is recorded with no observations/corrections made and there is marginal time at depth issue followed by a minimal surface interval and then following the next dive a problem develops? In my opinion, leave as much responsibility on the client diver as possible and take on what ever else is left t insure safe diving. But, hey, I am one of the people who doesnt think that diving is for anyone that just falls off the boat. It wasnt so long ago that diving was an extreme sport.

Agree completely - you would be taking on a liability that you probably really don't want.

As a diver operator, if you don't record that info and schedule dives using that info, are you not also taking on undo risk especially knowing today's legal climate?

In NJ the dive boats are not "dive operators" but rather "a ride out to the wreck" so we don't get involved in planning or executing your dive. We ask that all divers "plan their dive" and then that they "dive their plan."

When each diver enters the water we record the time and their planned run-time. (We don't care what that run time is, but we want you back on the boat by then.) We also record the time the diver exits the water. Then we do the same thing for subsequent dives that day. As we're diving wrecks with known max depths there's really no need to record individual depths as a line item; the roster sheet has the date, name of wreck, and max depth.

If a diver has a problem we know how long their dive was, whether that differed from the diver's plan, how long any surface interval was between dives, and we would assume the max depth unless we could confirm their actual depth from a computer.

The average diver doesn't really know his/her time and depth before or after the dive. They give, what, deepest depth they touch? Average depth (they don't know this)? They spend 3 mins at 100', then ascend to 40' for 45 mins and tell the DM they did a 100' dive for 45 mins. Unless they really did a square profile, or print out the computer's real profile, the numbers they guess at would be meaningless.

The divers are all certified and they are the ones that should be taking care of their own dive profiles. The boat should be responsible for maintaining a roster so as not to leave anyone behind.

I have yet to dive anywhere else outside of Southern California, but the boats here all operate the same way. The captains give you the approximate depths of the anchors, you plan your dives and go with it. The dive masters keep a roster of who's coming and going and make a headcount after everybody gets back to the boat and before we head off to another dive site.

The DMs and the boat captains are not babysitters. We are suppose to be certified divers and we need to act like it.

I understand that the added information might be useful, by why stop there? Why not have a deck hand check everybody's computer after they board and be sure they stayed within the rules, and while we're at it, make sure that everyone has 12oz of water before each dive and is properly hydrated. Oh!, and....

-------------------

One of the things that attracted me to diving years ago was the culture. The prevailing attitude was "we're adults, who having taken the responsibility of learning how to manage the risks of our sport, can take care of ourselves". It's the perfect marriage of freedom and responsibility.

Lately people keep coming up with things others can do to make us safer. We keep moving farther from the original premise of "caveat diver" muddling the lines of ultimate responsibility - "I thought you were checking that" - and thereby increasing, rather than reducing risk.

If you look at the financial mess the USA is in, is there anybody who doesn't wonder if the assumption that regulators were watching, raters were rating, and insurers were insuring, led folks to make poor decisions figuring it had to be OK. Don't you think that if folks didn't put their trust in others and did their own due diligence many of todays problems wouldn't exist?

Maybe the best thing a dive boat can do is mount a mirror at face height with a sign "person in charge of your safety".

Maybe they use the information to be able to better predict how long dives will last at each site in their little black book/GPS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom