Time and depth please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our dive shop asks the diver for their ending air pressure. This serves 2 purposes. We know the diver made it back on the boat and we can make sure that they're following our rule of back on the boat with 500 psi.

We were asked that only while diving one op in Hawaii. I did not care one way or the other except there was some reassurance that they knew I was back onboard. Here is SoCal, I've never been asked.

It a no issue for me either way.

The only place I've ever had to give information on profiles was in Indonesia. At the time, I wondered what on earth they were doing with the data. All we were asked for was max depth, time, and pressure. At least some of the divers just faked their answers.

When it comes to Dive Roster every single dive operator has an oppinion how it should look and what should be on there.

What do you think of Time and Depth? Should this info be taken and noted after each dives or should it not?

I've never been asked what my depth was. They could figure out the time if they wanted to, but I don't beleive I've ever used a boat that tracked this.

Is this a regional thing?

Terry

Our dive shop asks the diver for their ending air pressure. This serves 2 purposes. We know the diver made it back on the boat and we can make sure that they're following our rule of back on the boat with 500 psi.

Captain Hooks in Marathon FL does that also. I never figured why it was overly relevant other than "roll call"...(I always looked at it from a "I have more air left than YOU" standpoint)

Time and depth? Well on the boats I've been on, I've always been TOLD when to be back on the boat (usually an hour) and the depth was usually already understood and advised during the pre-dive briefing. i.e. This is X-reef, it bottoms out at 35 feet and goes in a north to north west direction...yadda yadda yadda...Be back on the boat with at least 500 psi, and, it's 12:30 now, be back AT 1:30.

We do the same thing. Can't get a tank pressure if they're not back yet. :cool:

Terry

What if they're not? (I mean following your air pressure rules).

Now you face the decision of whether to discipline them, or knowingly allowing a "risky" diver to dive. Essentially you've bought into their safety decisions.

If you take on the role of Nanny, don't be surprised if one day someone accuses you of being a lousy one.

When it comes to Dive Roster every single dive operator has an oppinion how it should look and what should be on there.

What do you think of Time and Depth? Should this info be taken and noted after each dives or should it not?

...a...

I don't see it as useful information at all to the dive op. I've only been to one dive operator that would ask this after each dive. So I would always tell them the depth was whatever they said was the max depth for that dive and always just said 500 lbs left in the tank. After the second day they caught on and just put that down for me and stopped asking.

One can rationalize asking for anything... but I think anything that adds to the illusion that the diver is being "protected" in any way by having authority figures looking over their shoulder (one interpretation)... does a disservice both to the diver and to the industry. Seems to me we should be in the business of creating competent divers who understand what "plan YOUR dive and dive YOUR plan" really means...

... just my 2 psi

Interesting question I've not thought about for a long time. I was asked for max depth/dive time by a single operator on Grand Cayman in 1997-8. That operator has not existed since 2000. I've never been asked for ending tank pressure.

Though I don't know what it would reasonably be used for, I would supply any of that information if it were the operator's policy. Out of curiosity, I would probably ask them why they wanted it. I'm always glad when I'm sure the operator knows I'm back on the boat.

Good diving, Craig

Back
Top Bottom