Tight seals on drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pengwe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a new drysuit, with rubber seals. It seals really well around my wrists. In fact, a bit too well. It's quite comfortable to wear, and isn't blocking circulation, but I have a really tough time getting my hands out after the dive. Most of the time, I end up pulling the sleeve inside out, and yanking till my hand comes free. I have a feeling this isn't very good for my suit! Plus, it hurts. Everyone tells me that the seals will relax after a little while, but until then, is there anything I can do to stop my arms being imprisoned in my drysuit?

I just pull the sleeves down, and then put my opposite hand in the seal to stretch and then pull the free hand out.

Wrist seals generally won't relax as much as the neck. I wouldn't worry about trimming a little. You need only a little area where it needs to seal properly, it doesn't need to cover the whole length of the wrist.

(Of course easy for me to say as I use dry gloves :) )

KY jelly works.

If you decide not to trim any further, another option would be to mix up a lil dishwashing soap in a spray bottle and give each wrist a small spray. Many dry suit divers use this routinely anyway to help putting on, and taking off suits, as well as attaching zip gloves in the rings.

Just a thought.

Ken

I have tight wrist seals (neoprene) that are really hard to get off. Usually I just put up with it and take them off the same way you are doing so but if it is really annoying me I just add a bit of KY and they come off really easily. Sometimes on shorter dives there is still a bit of KY left from when I put the seals on and it is easy, it is just a hassle when it washes off! Not sure if they will relax, done about 20 dives in it and they haven't budged yet...so not sure how long it will take.

is there anything I can do to stop my arms being imprisoned in my drysuit?
I'd call any seal that hurts to remove too tight but, hey, that's just me.

Latex seals won't loosen up very much with time so it's either trim, lube or suffer. I'd probably combine (a) and (b) and dispense with (c) but, hey, that's just me.

KY jelly works a treat.

Now, when you go diving and the other passengers on the dive boat ask, "Hey, what's with the KY Jelly?", you can smile and answer, "It's for the seals!"

(Especially amusing when actually diving with pinipeds.)

Now, when you go diving and the other passengers on the dive boat ask, "Hey, what's with the KY Jelly?", you can smile and answer, "It's for the seals!"

Maybe it's just me, but something always makes me nervous when I'm around a bunch of smelly sweaty guys in black latex suits are comparing their SACs and talking about their long hoses, then put condoms on, and pass around KY jelly while discussing strategies to maximize bottom-time.

:confused:

Very careful trimming is a good idea if they are REAL tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom