Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest Peter Benchley's book "Shark Water". It puts all dive activities under a little perspective.

I believe you mean his book Shark Trouble, which I own. I bought it new. I read it. And it doesn't excuse one dive operator from engaging in reckless behavior which gives the industry a black eye when the safety issues come home to roost.

Edited to Add: Here is a link to the book for any interested.
Amazon.com: Shark Trouble: Peter Benchley: Books

Its a short read and you can finish it in an afternoon. He actually makes a case against feeding by describing the habituation and aggressive behavior he saw at a reef shark feeding site. Do not use this book as pro-chum-cageless-tiger feeds. It makes me think you didn't actually read it.

Great pics, just sitting here trying to figure out if you would have written the same words pecking with one arm/hand........btw, I agree with you & come into this thread from the side of having a son who was lead DM/instructor on a dive when a 'major' shark attack happened about 4 or 5 years ago(the victim survived minus a limb use--that's what I'm defining as major).......

Gre3at Pics, haveing done several reef shark dives I would like to do a more advanced shark dive one of these days.

Getting back to the original topic of the post, I think your photographs are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. These are big majestic animals and I love the last image with the lemon shark smile. There are plenty of "big teeth" photos out there, and it is nice to see some that show sharks in a natural non-agressive posture. Well done.

I believe you mean his book Shark Trouble, which I own. I bought it new. I read it. And it doesn't excuse one dive operator from engaging in reckless behavior which gives the industry a black eye when the safety issues come home to roost.

Edited to Add: Here is a link to the book for any interested.
Amazon.com: Shark Trouble: Peter Benchley: Books

Its a short read and you can finish it in an afternoon. He actually makes a case against feeding by describing the habituation and aggressive behavior he saw at a reef shark feeding site. Do not use this book as pro-chum-cageless-tiger feeds. It makes me think you didn't actually read it.

I'm sure you'd like to give me a quiz after botching the title. It has been awhile since I read it and yes the scene where he takes his son and wife down in the bahamas was interesting but not near as hair raising as his encounter with an Oceanic White tip. Benchley's entire them is that the ocean is a dangerous place and when you place yourself there, you place yourself in the food chain. So for you to castigate a group of folks for diving wtih sharks is ridiculous. Again, you have dived with sharks you had no idea were there while they "saw" you just fine. You must've missed the part where Waterman tied a dead stingray to a brain coral to attract a tiger shark. This is my last reply as the previous poster is correct about its theme and we have no right to hijack it.

Nice shots, parabolic! I returned from this same trip last night (different operator--this was their first trip of the year) and dropped in to post a few pics. But, hey, you beat me to it! So, instead of posting more tigers and lemons, I'll post something else we found at the mooring chain at "Tiger Wreck" (there's a tiny bit of reef growing on the chain). Did any divers on your trip see this guy?
d57bdd30.jpg

As for the safety of these dives, I'll let others decide if I'm a lunatic. -Clay

AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHY! Your logic also makes sense. Yes shark diving is potentially dangerous (like riding a motor bike) but not outright suicidal as some believe.

Applause to you.

Did I miss it, or could you guys share you equipment you used with us. I'm looking at different camera options and I like to compare what floks use. Thanks much - Very nice photos.

Very cool shots. That lemon shark looks like it has human teeth and he's smiling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom