Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parabolic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just returned from a week-long shark trip to the Grand Bahamas Bank. This is the same trip that is generating much controversy (30+ pages) in another part of the forum. It is an uncaged trip targeting tiger sharks with chum and bait in the water. Now that I have done it, I think I can credibly offer my own opinions about the danger of such trips and the effect they have on the animals. As to danger, I would rate it slightly more dangerous than a typical reef dive where sharks are not anticipated, and substantially less dangerous than driving on the LA freeways (particularly I-405). As to changing the behavior of the sharks, I am not sure but I don't think so. Sharks have been around for 400 million years, are opportunistic feeders, and I don't think a relative millisecond of humans in boats throwing fish parts overboard will modify eons of hardwired behavior. These sharks knew the difference between me and the bait. I personally don't think that this activity will make a shark more likely to be interested in, much less attack, a diver minding his own business on some reef, without bait and/or blood in the water. But that is just my opinion, however it is at least based upon having actually experienced the trip. The sharks are absolutely magnificent:

2337102843_0389541786_o.jpg

2337938354_a438943a1b_o.jpg

2337938560_748c334c15_o.jpg

2337103375_d0e7ba5234_o.jpg

There were lots of beautiful lemon sharks:

2337938430_0e907958f7_o.jpg

2337938650_c6e7a73c26_o.jpg

Great shots, as always. I echo your sentiments on the dangers of the diving there. I've done it multiple times. It's a wonderful experience and gives you a new appreciation of these beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing!

Doug

Impressive pics!

Thanks for posting.

Fantastic images !!! Very jealous.

I'm in the process of organizing a Tiger / Raggie trip to Umkomaas (South Africa) where they offer a similar experience.If I manage some pics like yours I'll be very happy.

As to danger, I would rate it slightly more dangerous than a typical reef dive

And thus you help create the impression that these types of dives are safe. Most JASA apologists go with the "these people know what they are getting into". However, if you research these dives on this forum and wetpixel, all you get are posts downplaying the inherent danger of these dives.

Frankly, if you felt like you were in slightly more danger than a typical reef dive, I would say you didn't understand the danger either.

And thus you help create the impression that these types of dives are safe. Most JASA apologists go with the "these people know what they are getting into". However, if you research these dives on this forum and wetpixel, all you get are posts downplaying the inherent danger of these dives.

Frankly, if you felt like you were in slightly more danger than a typical reef dive, I would say you didn't understand the danger either.

I didn't feel like I was in any danger, and I am not a "JASA apologist" (I was not with Abernathy). I was offering my personal opinion that these dives, statistically, are slightly more dangerous than a typical reef dive, and less dangerous than driving the freeway. Like everything else in life, you weigh the risk against the benefit.

...and you shouldn't ever don SCUBA gear because it is riskier than snorkelling. Just because you've never seen a large, predatory shark doesn't mean you haven't dived with one. Once in Hawaii a DM started crushing a plastic bottle underwater. Within mere moments we were surrounded by sharks brought in by the sound. Personally I've never been on this kind of baiting dive but I'm going to venture a guess and say that JASA has had more than 1000 people underwater with 1 incident based on my readings on wetpixel. Statistically, his dives are as safe as reef dives, keeping all "feelings" out of the picture. I would suggest Peter Benchley's book "Shark Water". It puts all dive activities under a little perspective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom