Tiger Sharks in East Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Bulenyasar97
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

On a recent diving adventure in the South Halmahera region I ran into 2 tiger sharks in separate island groups. I wanted to ask if other divers that frequent East Indonesia's vast diving regions if you have been noticing an increase in Tiger Shark populations?

I've been diving in East Indonesia about once a year for 15 years (Raja Ampat, Alor, Banda Sea, Forgotten Islands, etc.) and haven't seen any Tiger Shark. There is a recent news about a diver body parts found in a juvenile (7-foot long) Tiger Shark, here:

I've been diving in East Indonesia about once a year for 15 years (Raja Ampat, Alor, Banda Sea, Forgotten Islands, etc.) and haven't seen any Tiger Shark. There is a recent news about a diver body parts found in a juvenile (7-foot long) Tiger Shark, here:

That happened at East Timor.

That happened at East Timor.
Well, the body parts were found in the stomach of a Tiger Shark in East Timor. However, the diver lost at sea around Pulau Reong, which is in Southwest Maluku regency.

“Colleen Monfore, 68, was diving with friends near the Pulau Reong island off the coast of Indonesia’s Southwest Maluku Regency on Sept. 26 when she did not resurface, Asia Pacific Press reported.”

Well, the body parts were found in the stomach of a Tiger Shark in East Timor. However, the diver lost at sea around Pulau Reong, which is in Southwest Maluku regency.

“Colleen Monfore, 68, was diving with friends near the Pulau Reong island off the coast of Indonesia’s Southwest Maluku Regency on Sept. 26 when she did not resurface, Asia Pacific Press reported.”
You are correct. But Reong is very close to East Timor.

You are correct. But Reong is very close to East Timor.

I don’t understand what the fuss about this. Aren’t they located in East Indonesia region? East Timor is in Timor island and West Timor is in East Indonesia. At one time the whole Timor island was part of Indonesia (annexation by Indonesia in 1976), until East Timor regained its independence in 2002.

@Bulenyasar97 may be you are near Tiger Shark nursery area. If you find some shallow banks where pregnant female Tiger Sharks are hanging around, you may start “Tiger Beach” ala Indonesia there in Halmahera, like Captain Scott Smith did in Bahamas.

Then the local won’t call you “Bule Nyasar” anymore and called you”Bule Nemu”. 😜

I saw a tiger in 2 of my 3 cruises in Banda this year. Video evidence is somewhere on the net. I have also seen a tiger in Christmas Island, which is not too far from Indonesia. Video evidence is also somewhere on the net.

Back
Top Bottom