Trip Report Tiger Beach October 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing video, Dan. Nice, serene music (Stratosphere). Love the 'picture' one clicks to start it. Surprising a human can meaningfully redirect her with a push. While the lemon shark got 'bit' on the head, she didn't appear all that aggressive - more the shark equivalent of a shove. I don't see blood welling out of a wound, for example.

There's something really important yet easy to overlook in your coverage of this trip, and I saw it in your Cocos Island trip report (where you wrote of needing to have your head on a swivel, and catching a perhaps 15 foot tiger shark coming up on you from behind). There is some danger inherent in this activity that should neither be downplayed nor exaggerated.

You made clear it's needful to monitor the tiger sharks, observe their approach and be ready to redirect via a push and perhaps move out of their way. If you don't, one may 'munch' you to investigate what you are. And on a Tiger Beach trip, there's a chance there may be 4 in the water at once.

That's the kind of info. I'd need to know and mentally rehearse if I were considering such a trip. Shark feeding dives are a reliable lightning rod for controversy on ScubaBoard, and I advocate they be allowed for those who choose them, and ask people base risk assessment on what we see happening in the real world (vs. equating it with feeding bears). But at the same time, these remain powerful apex predators operating on a fish brain.

I think you hit the right balance, a friendly 'watch yourself.'

Reactions: Dan
Amazing video, Dan. Nice, serene music (Stratosphere). Love the 'picture' one clicks to start it. Surprising a human can meaningfully redirect her with a push. While the lemon shark got 'bit' on the head, she didn't appear all that aggressive - more the shark equivalent of a shove. I don't see blood welling out of a wound, for example.

There's something really important yet easy to overlook in your coverage of this trip, and I saw it in your Cocos Island trip report (where you wrote of needing to have your head on a swivel, and catching a perhaps 15 foot tiger shark coming up on you from behind). There is some danger inherent in this activity that should neither be downplayed nor exaggerated.

You made clear it's needful to monitor the tiger sharks, observe their approach and be ready to redirect via a push and perhaps move out of their way. If you don't, one may 'munch' you to investigate what you are. And on a Tiger Beach trip, there's a chance there may be 4 in the water at once.

That's the kind of info. I'd need to know and mentally rehearse if I were considering such a trip. Shark feeding dives are a reliable lightning rod for controversy on ScubaBoard, and I advocate they be allowed for those who choose them, and ask people base risk assessment on what we see happening in the real world (vs. equating it with feeding bears). But at the same time, these remain powerful apex predators operating on a fish brain.

I think you hit the right balance, a friendly 'watch yourself.'
Thanks for your compliment. I'm glad you like the video.

I noticed that each of those Tiger Sharks has unique behavior. I thought I recorded for future reference.

Yes, it is important to keep eyes on the Tiger sharks amongst the other sharks. Here's a good example video of what happens if you don't. Luckily nothing happened to the diver.

Incredibly detailed report Dan! Thank you for expending the effort! The videos are awesome. As others have mentioned, I don't usually watch long videos to conclusion. These are riveting! Daisy is a sight to see!

Incredibly detailed report Dan! Thank you for expending the effort! The videos are awesome. As others have mentioned, I don't usually watch long videos to conclusion. These are riveting! Daisy is a sight to see!
Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like it.

I try to show what Tiger Beach is all about. It's not only about shark feeding dives, but also about nice and colorful soft coral, fishy place and most of all, very sharky than any other dive sites I have ever been, including Galapagos, Cocos, Malpelo and Socorro.

After shark feeding dive was over, we had time to explore the dive site. Since they were shallow dives, our air consumption was low and we were allow up to 75-80 minutes of diving.

Yes, it is important to keep eyes on the Tiger sharks amongst the other sharks. Here's a good example video of what happens if you don't. Luckily nothing happened to the diver.

Oh wow, that would have scared the crap out of me.

Oh wow, that would have scared the crap out of me.
It was emphasized during the dive briefing that you need to keep your eyes on the Tiger sharks 100%. I followed the Tiger shark as she swam a complete circle around me. She may have seen an interesting thing to nibble on (shiny tank?).

Had the diver been following her, he could have been easily pushed her away or she would have swum away when she saw him staring at her.

Awesome stuff thank you for sharing family is already working on when to rent the entire boat for a trip! I use thank you loosely because I know how the family trips normally turn out when the bills land. LOL

Awesome stuff thank you for sharing family is already working on when to rent the entire boat for a trip! I use thank you loosely because I know how the family trips normally turn out when the bills land. LOL
You are welcome!

I chartered the whole boat too for this trip. Cost wise it’s a good deal / diver. Everyone ended up saving $750 / diver, compared to if you booked it individually.

You are welcome!

I chartered the whole boat too for this trip. Cost wise it’s a good deal / diver. Everyone ended up saving $750 / diver, compared to if you booked it individually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom