Thursday's Photo ~ Sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In honor of our newest member, Sealkie, let have sharks today. Maybe she'll show us some of her most excellent shark photos!

I don't have any shark photos online so I'll enjoy the show with everyone else. :)

Here you go !

two of my "famous" black and whites !!! :0)

bwshark8_1102.htm

bwshark6_1102.htm

Sealkie....you have to use the photos .jpg property, not the .htm. in order for the photos to show. Like this...

bwshark6_1102.jpg

bwshark8_1102.jpg

Shark feeding dive in Chuuk. A bunch of greys with some white and black tips mixed in.

Mine hardly compares to a great white (Sealkie - how big is that shark? 18ft? 20ft?) unfortunately. Its a sand tiger on the Caribsea in NC. Apologies for the poor gimping out of the line that goes straight across the picture - I did a better job on my second attempt but I can't find that file right now.
Dave

The more observant among you may have noticed a certain lack of imagery associated with that last post.

Dave

yup the Great Whites were in the region of 16 - 20 ft.

Very interesting dives .. this was a short report I wrote when I got back

Remember that scene in Jaws where the shark gets stuck in the cage and keeps thrashing until it destorys the cage ...

it was the first dive of the trip - we were just doing a 30 min session in the cage to get familiar with the entry / exit procedure - no shark have ever been seen on the first dives - 20 mins after getting in a 12 - 14 ft female shows ups - gorgeous - cruising back and fore in front of the cages - what a rush - she lunges for the tuna head bait hanging next to our cage - and misses - but she does cut the rope and the tuna head floats freely directly in front of the cage - she turns and in 2 snaps the head is gone - great shots as she snaps head on to the cage - she keeps moving forward slowly and her snot pokes into the cage - the guy next to me jumps back ( as you would when a 12 ft shark is coming at you ! ) which catches her interest - so she moves a little futher forward with a short spurt of speed - as the cage opening closes on her she realizes she is trapped and starts to thrash = 4 divers pile one end of cage while she trashes the other in attempt to get free - 35 secs later shes out and away - we are left with half a cage !!!!

Just a few of the 20 or so soupfin sharks I went down toi video in Lover's Cove, Santa Catalina Island. Did a front page story on them for one of our local papers indicating that they were harmless. The next weekend three bozos went down, grabbed them and all got bitten. Of course the town hushed up this totally provoked "attack."

Most large predators are extremely powerful. The picture of the cage torn apart in only 30 seconds or so is proof. Me? I'll stay on the boat, thank you very much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom