Thursday's (July 8) Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Leaf Scorpionfish
070804a.jpg

Hawaiian Whitespotted Toby's ("Frick" and "Frack")
070804b.jpg

"Frick" without "Frack"
070804c.jpg

Cane Burning
Burning is still the process here before harvesting the sugar cane.
070804d.jpg

Cool Tobies. Uh...in that cane burning pic, off the the right at what looks like the waters surface, is a mushroom looking cloud. Did something blow up or am I imagining things?

Dee,
That is the sugar cane burning. It is a regular practice here. They burn the cane fields when they are ready to harvest them. It is a cheaper method than using harvesting machines. The sugar is forced down the stalks from being set on fire. After the fire is out large steam shovel like devices come in and pick up the burned stalks and load them onto cane haulers (biggest truck-trailers I have ever seen) and take it to the sugar mill for processing. The dirtiest part of the process is done here on Maui. The product is then shipped to the mainland to be refined into sugar.

This is the last working sugar mill on Maui
sugarmill.jpg

Thanks for more great pics and info.

It's just smoke, huh? Looks strange! Cool photo, tho!

God...Those pics make me miss Maui so bad....I was there in March and I absolutely fell in love with it. That's how I decided that I wanted to learn to dive (when I went snorkeling out at Molokini).... Birmingham, AL just can't compete :wink: . Gilligan, you're a lucky man...

the Crizzotch

PS - I flew over that cane mill in a helicopter... check out these pics... most beautiful place I've ever been....

Very nice pics. The Toby's must be very curious fish indeed.

Really nice pics.....I love the cute fish!!

I must agree with Friz. Everytime you post pics from below or above Maui I get sick!

I also went to Maui last year and fell in move with the island. Went snorkeling at Molokini too.

We did stop by the cane factory and looked at it. They were not burning when we were there.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom