Trip Report Zanzibar Diving Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pics! Thanks for the update on diving around Zanzibar. Looking forward to our trip in Jan.
We did see lots of the scorpion fish which reading back you were interested in. These were all at the mnemba atol

80471AFB-6611-4F64-B372-A7DDD7C9627F.jpeg
7CCFFC48-5A25-4858-8A62-C45ED6A2CC52.jpeg
33C31270-A27A-4340-9888-1C804824EF90.jpeg

How many dives can you do?
It seems most places only do 2 a day.
The folks at one ocean only did two morning boat dives a day as far as I know. It was pretty chaotic with small boats ferrying divers into bigger boats.

With only two diving days I didn’t head north to see Poseidon or to stone town. I think there are some wrecks there.

Everyone seemed quite eager to do business and I bet you could hire a boat and a guide quite cheaply.

I did connect over what’s app with a good guide who could help organize. DM me if interested and I can put you in touch.

Oh thanks for these photos, they are really great!
What camera do you use?
My camera died at the start of our trip so I am really happy to see these as souvenirs and I confirm we saw all those as well. I really like the leaf, frog and crocodile fishs, there are lots and I never saw so many anywhere else before.

Oh thanks for these photos, they are really great!
What camera do you use?
My camera died at the start of our trip so I am really happy to see these as souvenirs and I confirm we saw all those as well. I really like the leaf, frog and crocodile fishs, there are lots and I never saw so many anywhere else before.
Our pleasure @Bubble99 , my wife Nathalie took these with her TG5 (in housing with strobe). While we were very limited on luggage, she insisted to bring this :) Some people here know her for her local pictures at popular sites here. For Zanzibar, yes, so many leaf frog fish! We saw them in black, orange, pink/purple, yellow, yellow and black striped .. very amazing. Nat is putting together some pics on her blog, I'll share a link when she's done and there will be more pictures and information too. I'll let her know you liked them.

Really they are very beautiful! Actually I just got a TG6 but not yet a strobe and also had not jet the occasion to really get into all the different possibilities of the camera, just did automatic shooting to start. What strobe has she got? The light and colors are really clear! I would like to get a strobe next but not sure what to get and would love some advise.

As promised @Bubble99, Nat had written up our Zanzibar adventure on her blog. Great add-on to the safari: Lions and Lion fish!! I'm sure you'll have a great time @leungj2002
. @Conesnail managed to try different dive operators and sites, but here is Nat's write up

As I read through it myself, I would echo her sentiments at the end. There was so much poverty in Zanzibar. We left many of our clothes and shoes and toiletries with the hotel manager to give to the local community. You might consider bringing along some clothes that you'd be willing to leave behind (also makes for more room for souvenirs). Just a thought.

p.s. @Bubble99 Nat uses the Sea and Sea YS-03 strobe, a good buy and works very well. Here is more info on her setup (there are a few links on her blog). Feel free to reach out here (or directly to Nat on her blog too) with any questions. She is ALWAYS happy to talk underwater photography :)

Also, my pics were just screen shots from her screen. The article above has originals, but if you want any in high res, just ask I'm sure she'll be happy to share. I told her about your camera, and she can sympathize.. It also happened to her with a gopro on the first dive of a vacation. (another time, I jumped in and the arm broke sending our camera down into the abyss in Cayman .. but that's another story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom