Thunderbay Wreck Diving Trip - Memorial Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to seeing you folks up here!

Right now NOAA, Woods Hole Oceanographic, and Sony Corp are up here with a group of High School students from Saginaw. And their goal is to search for and find a shipwreck, video it and then document the find. It is an off shoot from Sony's Rocket Project but this time they are going down, not up in the air. Usually takes about a year post production before these things make it on TV so keep an eye out.

Unfortunately the weather has not been the most cooperative but they did go out this morning. I suspect and outbreak of mal de mer but NOAA sure has one beautiful 60+ footer that might make all the difference. Rest of the week 6' waves or less is forecast. Saturday, if you can believe weathermen, is supposed to be beautiful...I need to get Thunder Bird out for a spring ride before you folks show up. This stupid weather has been an obstical this year.
Joe
I just spent two weeks with the team on the shipwreck hunt.They are talking of airing the program in Aug. on current TV. The results should be great. The water was very cold with surface temps of 38 and the bottom at 35.

Stan

Did they find the shipwreck they were promised?
I suspect that the William Young should have been out there.
If you know the water temp it must be diveable on O.C.

I think the story of the USLSS personel and the steamers Captain makes for interesting reading. The Middle Island crew first went out to "save" her in the powered boat, which broke down. Paddled back in and got the old oar boat and made it out to the Young only to find her already abandoned. Then a few days latter the Steamers Captain towed the oar boat out to her and "as soon as letting us go they headed for the shelter of False Presque Isle." The Life Saving Crew quickly determined that approaching her was too dangerious and headed back in as well. THEN the next day the Steamer Captain got the Thunder Bay Island USLSS to go
look for her....hmmmm They put 100 miles into searching for her with their powered life boat.

What a GREAT dive trip!

We had a GREAT time diving up in Alpena this past weekend. We dove the following wrecks:

Saturday:
Grecian
Montana
Flint

Sunday:
New Orleans
Middle Island Sink Hole

With the water temps hovering around 37 degrees, my video camera decided to act up a little on me (the lens kept wanting to frost over). I was able to get some great video of the wrecks on Saturday. But unfortunately, no video for Sunday. Guess that means I need to get back up there again! :)

The visibility was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! It was easily 100ft. In fact, when we did the first dive on the Grecian, I was amazed to roll over and look down and see the Grecian sitting on the bottom! :D

Both Captain Joe and Captain Brian were awesome to dive with. Both boats were very accommodating and the captains were great to deal with. For those who didn't make it on the trip, you missed some amazing diving. To wet your appetite for the wreck diving season, I've attached a couple screen captures from the video that I took on Saturday. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks to all the divers that did attend. Hope you had as great of a time diving as I did!

(You should be able to click on the images below to see them larger.)

Flint_1.jpg T. Bix on the Flint

Grecian_3.jpg Inside the Grecian

Grecian_1.jpg Mitten Diver swimming over the rail of the Grecian

Flint_2.jpg T. Bix on the Flint

Montana_1.jpg Boilers on the Montana

Grecian_2.jpg Mitten Diver ascending from the engine compartment on the Grecian

Montana_2.jpg Chris looking into the boiler of the Montana

Awesome pics Mike! Did you catch my dry suit flood? Does anybody have a HOG 32# wing for sale? :)
Taco

I was real happy with your crew and will be glad to have BoneCrusher back to film those wrecks he missed. I will try to keep my Thunder Bay Scuba facebook page updated when we have empty seats and/or fun dives. I hafta go raise a mooring line on the New Orleans real soon. Maybe after this weekends charters.

I've been tossing some of those dessicant packages in my housing to try and stem the fog problems, has anyone else tried this?. Been thinking 'bout inventing some kind of air chuck where the housing air can be purged with low moisture tank air, nitrogen, or maybe argon... helium is too valuable for other things.:)

I was real happy with your crew and will be glad to have BoneCrusher back to film those wrecks he missed. I will try to keep my Thunder Bay Scuba facebook page updated when we have empty seats and/or fun dives. I hafta go raise a mooring line on the New Orleans real soon. Maybe after this weekends charters.

I've been tossing some of those dessicant packages in my housing to try and stem the fog problems, has anyone else tried this?. Been thinking 'bout inventing some kind of air chuck where the housing air can be purged with low moisture tank air, nitrogen, or maybe argon... helium is too valuable for other things.:)

Here a little tip that does help: If you can get the lid on your housing quickly, simply give a blast of cylinder air into the housing and seal it immediately. I've done this and it does get rid of moisture to avoid condensation when getting into cold depths. My $.02

I was real happy with your crew and will be glad to have BoneCrusher back to film those wrecks he missed. I will try to keep my Thunder Bay Scuba facebook page updated when we have empty seats and/or fun dives. I hafta go raise a mooring line on the New Orleans real soon. Maybe after this weekends charters. .:)

It's quite a drive for me but with enough lead time and if Mike needs a "good competent dive buddy" (Side joke) I'm deffinetly interested in getting back to see more of the New Orleans and depending on water temps I think we even peaked the interest of my wife in seeing the sink holes. Surface intervals and all I thought it went well Captains Joe and Brian, and crews!

So am I to just assume that you are a "competent diver" just because you posted it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom